Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#645743 12/13/23 07:13 PM
jc2it Offline OP
OP Offline
We had a reason to call 911 today. I am told the call went to some lady that didn't know where we were and couldn't spell the name of the town. Our employee decided something was wrong hung up and called from their cell phone and got right through to local 911.

Why did this happen?

Our CTX 670 is connected to a Copper PRI provided by Allstream that uses a local Ziply Central Office to provide last mile service. It has been in service for MANY years and at one point I tested 911, told them who I was and that we were testing because of a report it wasn't working. It worked fine in testing years ago. I am going to go look at the settings and see if something is misconfigured but I don't believe it has changed.

Where should I be looking?

Should I be calling my carrier and asking them what?

Thanks!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

jc2it #645749 12/14/23 01:55 PM
jc2it Offline OP
OP Offline
I reviewed the settings in eManager and didn't see anything obviously wrong for our install. As I understand it we should be sending the BTN which is a local number to us. I opened a ticket with the carrier and they responded with:
"I found dual translations built for a pending order. Disabled services until turnup. Please make a fresh test call to 911 and provide call details if it failed. "

I made a test call and Identified who I was and what I was doing. I asked whom I had gotten through to and they said it was the National 911 Call Center. I consider that a failure in that we should get a call center local to us and updated the ticket with that.

What experience have you had with this setup and am I doing this correctly?

Thanks!

jc2it #645750 12/14/23 03:32 PM
jc2it Offline OP
OP Offline
The Carrier made another change and I was able to connect to a more local 911 call center. He was able to give me my BTN as the call back number and the service address. That is what we needed.
He also asked if I was going to be doing anymore testing.

Now to verify our other PRI's and service.

jc2it #645766 12/18/23 03:34 PM
If the carrier does not have an i2 connection to the local PSAP connection, calls will get routed to an Emergency Call Relay Center (ECRC). This is more common with VoIP carriers than a CLEC.

These centers are usually not local, and they do not get address information when you call. They have to take the information and then they call the local PSAP and verbally relay the provided information. It can slow down the process.

The only thing you can set in the Toshiba is the number that is sent to the carrier for e911. Normally you would send the BTN, but there are cases when you would want to set a DID instead, for example in a large facility with multiple buildings.

Moderated by  Carlos#1, phonemeister 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,396 Shoretel
189,121 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 132 guests, and 428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024