web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Greetins All,

I am preparing an office move, taking our 5000 system from KRONE blocks to patch panels and I need some basic advice.

I have my patch panels and Amphenol cables and my task is to dress the panel so that it can be coupled to the exisisting male end amph cable that is coupled to my current blocks.

We just went from an Axxess to the 5000 and kept the wiring in place for a speedy cutover.

So, my question. I have 1 25-pair cable, so am I to use 1 pair and punch it down to the green position on my patch panel? Assuming this for digital phones and orange position for analog? We are not using any IP phones yet, so I'm dealing with old 4500 and 4400 phones.

I would really appreciate the help from the board. I have never worked with patch panels before, only blocks.

Thanks all!

Andrea
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Andrea
If you wire the w/b of the 25 pr to pin 4 and 6 of port 1 it will be your first ext. the w/o to pin 4 and 6 of port 2 will be your second ext. and so on. Be sure to stop at 16 no need to terminate the remaining colors they go no where. Colors on the patch panel do not work as they make 568A and 568B A would use the w/o and B would use the w/g
the key is pin 3 is your lead (white of white blue)and 6 is the secondary (blue of the white blue)
For Single Lines off a sl card you would use pin 5 and 6.... same for your dial tone if you are porting it in. I have seen where the vendor will put a phone number on each color using all 4 pair in the patch panel, the issue is you can't easily test one line so I always put one on each port so you can test at the panel
Randy
call if you need help or I've confused you

Randy touched on a critical point with patch panels – whether to punch for 586A or 586B.

If the station cables are terminated as 586B, follow that standard throughout. I’ve seen where the customer wanted “universal” CAT-5 jacks which could be used for voice or data. Not a bad idea, as much as I hate using patch panels for voice.

I had one customer who did their own cabling. He punched the jacks as 586A and the patch panels as 586B. When asked why, he said that voice jacks are always A, and patch panels are always B! After he had to re-punch about a hundred jacks, he wasn’t so excited about doing his own cabling.

Make sure to clearly label any analog patch panels, as they will be punched on 4/5 instead of 3/6. I would also use color-coded patch cords.

OP Offline
Excellent guidance, friends! Thanks much. Patch cord color scheme is also smart advice and already part of my plan.

Cheers! :toast:

Andrea
OP Offline
Wait, still confused. On the back of the panel there is a color/number scheme, so do I use that to determine where to punch down my first wire? Using that map, I'd punch down in the 7th slot, because the map shows it is pin 4.

Andrea
It could be a panel that will go either A or B by flipping over the paper tab it gives the pin both ways. Either way I would suspect (based on most panels I've seen) you would be terminating to the w/o o/w pair or the w/g g/w pair (hint would be it should be closest to the white blue pair. Hook it up to that and plug a phone straight into the panel and see if you get magic if so your good if not try the other pair of pins
Randy

Just re-read my post: can't believe I wrote 586 instead of 568. :bang:

Moderator-Inter-Tel
Moderator-Inter-Tel
Originally posted by MVSpeed:
It could be a panel that will go either A or B by flipping over the paper tab it gives the pin both ways. Either way I would suspect (based on most panels I've seen) you would be terminating to the w/o o/w pair or the w/g g/w pair (hint would be it should be closest to the white blue pair. Hook it up to that and plug a phone straight into the panel and see if you get magic if so your good if not try the other pair of pins
Randy
Definitely great advice!!

One thing you can do as well is to tone out pins 3 and 6 at one of the jacks. Patch that into where you plan on punching down the 1.1 (w/bl). With a metal tipped probe you can tell exactly which pair you need to punch it down to on the patch panel.

Moderated by  Stix1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,593 Shoretel
189,480 CTX100 install
187,630 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 163 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024