Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Tekamba Offline OP
OP Offline
I've recently taken over the networking and phone system for a client and they never had the ethernet connection to the phone system setup. I plugged in an ethernet and the system is pulling an IP, upon visiting that IP in a browser I receive a Username/Password prompt but no one knows what the password could have possibly been and the last person to work on the system is long gone (deceased).

Is there a way to reset the password from the main phone extension? If not I suppose I could boot into single user mode (it's running a variant of Red Hat linux so this should be possible?) and reset the root password. But I'm not sure if that would be the same user for the web interface.

Any assistance anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get this system backed up as I just narrowly bypassed a potential HUGE problem and would like to have a safety net for in the future.

Greg

Greg Hicks
Tekamba Computers, LLC
[email protected]
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Mobil Phones, Computers
You cannot reset the password using any of the extensions. The web interface is for basic diagnostics only and not system programming. You would need to know the software version and then you would need the Intertel session manager software. The only legit way to reset a lost password is with Intertel's assistance. They have a way to log into the system and reset the password. A dealer would have to make this call though. Another option is with a backup of the database programming. There is a company who can recover the password using the database backup. I cant recall who they are but a Google search should turn something up.

Moderator-Inter-Tel
Moderator-Inter-Tel
The only thing running linux is the EVMC (Embedded Voice Mail Card). The browser password you are looking for has nothing to do with that card. As tito1411 alluded to, even if you are able to access the web interface, you will be unable to do any programming.

You will need the session manager software and know the proper version on top of that. Then you will have to hope that there is no password associated with the system when using that software. This is a different password than the web interface.

There are several techs, me included, that can assist you with this but expect to be charged.

Good luck!

Tekamba Offline OP
OP Offline
The more I deal with this Inter-Tel system the less I like their operating ethics. I understand wanting to keep your own company in the "loop" but making it virtually impossible for anyone to work on the system except for an authorized technician? That's piracy in my opinion.

The customer bought and paid for the hardware, it should be up to them who can or can't touch their system. The software should be available for the asking, if they allow a non-certified tech in their it is at their own risk. They bought the hardware, they should be allowed to decide who works on it. And they can't even backup their own system without calling in an outside source? Empower the customer is how my mind always works.

Just my $.02, not even worth a plug nickel, but I'll share them anyway. (-:

Grge

Greg Hicks
Tekamba Computers, LLC
[email protected]
That is how Inter-Tel's dealer agreement works. As the manufacturer, they are allowed to set those terms. They want to make sure their equipment is worked on by trained and certified technicians.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
Tekamba Offline OP
OP Offline
I bet they don't advertise that fact when marketing to potential buyers. I'd be willing to bet if they informed their potential customers that ONLY certified technicians could do any basic tasks (such as backing up your OWN database) their sales would plummet.

Greg Hicks
Tekamba Computers, LLC
[email protected]
Actually, customers sign a tri-party software agreement when the system is purchased from an authorized dealer. I’ve never heard that this practice has hurt sales.

Tekamba Offline OP
OP Offline
Really? Because this customer had NO idea the hardware that they purchased (and paid a hefty price for) was inaccessible to them. Sure they can do basic tasks, but make sure you have a backup so you can recover in the event of a failure? Nope, gotta call in the big dollar guys.

Greg Hicks
Tekamba Computers, LLC
[email protected]
Actually we, the dealer, do advertise the fact. All of our customers understand that when they buy a system from us that we are the only ones authorized to work on it and if they have anyone else do so then they void their warranty. Been doing it like this since 1972 and were still chugging along. I find your quotes quite funny. Your coming into a forum asking for help from people who work on these systems for a living and now your criticizing the way things are done in an industry which you know nothing about?

Tekamba Offline OP
OP Offline
Actually, I responding to attacks made on me and the archaic mindset surrounding the telecom field. "We've been doing it like this since 1972" (again in my humble opinion) is not exactly a strong argument as to why things work as they do.

I find it funny that I was attacked (instead of offered assistance) right out the gate, but when I respond in kind feelings start to get hurt. Mind you tito1411, your comments were more on the helpful side, but the fact that so many immediately went to pointing out that it should have been a "certified" tech is the "good old boy" network I was referring to.

Greg Hicks
Tekamba Computers, LLC
[email protected]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Stix1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,284
Posts638,772
Members49,765
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,461 Shoretel
188,328 CTX100 install
187,093 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 5
jc2it 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 135 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024