web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
grady Offline OP
OP Offline
I have gotten some uesful information from ths board, but I've gotten stumped on a classic mail install. Here's the details:

I have a customer with an 820D-2, and I got them a 4 port classic mail system on e-Bay. It seems to be fine. Powers up, initializes, light 5 comes on, etc. Also, I am proficient in programming the 802D-2.

They have two open trunk positions on 5-6. I plan to use these for user access, and will not need to use interposed lines for users to get their messages.

I defaulted the 820D-2 system, then re-entered all the line appearances, ringing, button appearances (paging, etc). I am not using busy buster on this sytem.

I applied the attendent template to extensions 28 and 29, wich are connected to positions 1 and 2 on the telephone emulation ports (right side of jacks on the classic mail). A BIS 34 phone works properly when connected to the 8 conductor flat cable that plugs into the classic mail.

I did not get any modular cables with the used classic mail. I used a regular 4 conductor mod cables to connect the 820D-2 trunks 5 and 6 to positions 1 and 2 of the center set of jacks on the classic mail.

I am not using interposed lines, so I have no connection on the left set of jacks on the classic mail.

I powered up the 802D-2, then the classic mail. I goes into 'discovery' mode and stabilizes.

Now, here is my question:

I can not access the voice mail on lines 5 or 6. In troubleshooting, I connected a single line phone to positions 1 thru 4 of the center set of jacks on the classic mail also . The phone does not have talk battery or the expected voice mail greeting when taken off hook.

I can connect dial tone to the left set of jacks (the interposed jacks) and I get CO dial tone on the center set of jacks that correspond to the center position jack. The star * command is not recognized by the classic mail.

If I connect the classic mail system and allow it to complete discovery and begin stable operation, and I call the incoming number (from a cell phone) the classic mail properly answers the incoming call and presents the voice mail greetings of the former customer.

I plan to get the admin passwords out by connecting a serial cable at 1200 baud and using the password ADMIN to gain access. That is my work for today.

My bigger question is wny I don't have tip/ring access to the voice mail on the center set of jacks?

Is it possible that the voice mail talk battery is on the yellow black pair? Is there some other connection scheme that I'm missing?

I think today that I can get the system cracked open to get the greeting changed, set the number of answer rings, etc (although I may be overly optimistic about what can be done via the serial interface).

My concern is that even with all that done, if the users can't get access to the classic mail to get their messages without calling in from an unused line or their cell phone, this isn't usable.

I am certain that I have the 820D-2 programming done correctly for the trunk positions 5 and 6. If I put dial tone on those trunk positions, I can access that dial tone on any phone. I can also connect the dial tone to the interposed jacks on the left side of the classic mail, and it passes through to the corresponding center jack position and appears on the 820D-2.

What doesn't happen is that if the user presses star (*) they don't get the classic mail greeting.

I'm very appreciative of any suggestions you can offer.

I suppose I could send this in for repair, but it seems strange that every aspect of the system seems to work but user side access. That makes me think there was some freaky mojo in the cables that shipped with the classic mail system.

Mark Grady
New Paris Telephone
mailto: [email protected]

------------------

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Mark:

Boy, I admire your courage & fortitude. For the last 10 years, at least, I have been recommending customers who wanted voicemail and had existing Merlin 820s, 820Ds etc---that it was time to upgrade to a newer system. Those systems were just not made for VM and the VMs that supposedly integrated with them were just horrible to work with. I hope a regular Avaya tech chimes in here, maybe there is something that can be done, but you may be beating a dead horse here. It's a shame because that 820D will keep running forever. Good Luck

Boy I'll say. I'd rather roll around naked in broken beer bottles then have that challenge. Bless you for your effort, and good luck.
Proof that you can sell anything on Ebay.
mark

Chris Howard
Chris Howard
Pick up a Marlin Legend and an Intuity Audix, Easy to fine and easy to program, It's time to move up.

William C. Howard
theres a company called king technologies in tennessee that repairs these and i think gives tech support
and can probably sell you a complete set of docs
1-877-808-5600
www.kingtechnologies.com
that should keep you busy for a while
good luck

[This message has been edited by KENB (edited February 26, 2005).]

RIP Admin
RIP Admin
As far as cables go you would use the same cords as the Merlin sets use for the station side, but I recall there being special interposed line cables that came with the mail unit for the connections from the KSU line jacks to the mail unit. I would assume that they don't have the cables anymore due to it comming from ebay.

What ver is it? 1.6 admin password can be reset with no problem, 1.5 needs to be accessed by the RS232

You got mail

[This message has been edited by dtmf (edited February 26, 2005).]

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
grady Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I worked on this project this morning, but I didn't make any real progress.

I didn't take time to roll around in broken beer bottles, but I'll keep that in mind.

This is somewhat of a 'fixed cost' customer, and the 820D-2 system itself is so indestructable that they aren't too motivated to upgrade, although we did have that discussion this morning.

We also sell and service the newer products. This 'classic' is the oldest system I have worked on. I ususally do Legends and newer (partner, partner plus, ACS, 25 and newer. ,

I also do our work on the worst Avaya system ever, the IP office, and the 2500/3500.

We're changing every IP-O out to the Samsung iDCS 100/500's as fast as we can.

Anyway, my testing today shows this:

I confirmed today that there is no talk battery on any of the red/green or yellow black pairs on either the interposed jacks or the 'outside line' jacks.

Connecting CO dialtone to the outside line jacks and then going off hook on the interposed jacks (the center set) gets me CO dial tone, but dialing star does not get the VM greeting.

I tried to console on the RS-232 port at 1200 8N1, but I think I needed a null modem (cross over) and all I had was a straight cable. I didn't have an RS breakout box, but the system shows normal startup and operation (LED 5 solid green), but no response on the 232 port. My cross over (null modem adapter) got 'shopped' by a co-worker so I got a new one at RS. I'll try again with the null adapter on my next visit.

The reply about the 'special' cables sort of makes me think that they may have had a split end (CO line in, interposed line out) and now I wish I would have seen if the interposed jacks were actually 8 pin jacks.

I have been trying 4 pin flat cords.

As to getting this on e-bay, it came with other parts that I needed for a Legend, and since it seemed to work (other than no user access) I started down this road as a favor, and of course you all know that no good deed goes unpunished.

Its one of those projects that I don't have a lot of money in, but will probably have some time invested. The customer is so appreciative that it makes it a rewarding way to spend a Saturday morning.

Thanks again to everyboy for your help, pity and humor...

mark

Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
The CO ports used standard cords.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,708 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Yoda, Toner, Curlycord), 135 guests, and 240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024