Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#76887 10/31/05 08:21 AM
SonnyD Offline OP
OP Offline
I keep getting calls from a customer saying there is static on line 1. Somedays there is none and some days its all day. I havent been on site while its happening.

I also noticed that when I did a system reset last time I was there a phone didnt come up when the system rebooted. I unpluged the line cord and pluged it back in and it came right up.

Any ideas as to the problem or any ideas on how to troubleshoot it. its an old partner system.

Thanks

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

#76888 10/31/05 09:11 AM
Well, since this is intermittent the easiest way for you is to swap line 1 with line 2 and go away. Let them tell you if the noise is still on the first button or is now on the second. That will tell you if it's the 206, the wiring before it or the TELCO. I'm betting on the TELCO.

I'm assuming here also that the static is on all phones on line 1. It's a common problem for 206's to develop noisy station ports but this would cause noise on only one extension on all lines.

If you can arrange to be there when it's happening connect your butt set at the demarc after disconnecting the wiring going to the system.

As for the phone that didn't come back up, old Partners do strange things. As long as it works now I wouldn't worry and it has nothing to do with the static problem.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#76889 11/01/05 08:44 AM
SonnyD Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks, No static today so I have the secrectary ready to swap them as soon as the static reappears. the static seems to be on line one on all phones. Just out of curiosity what would cause intermitent static on the phone co side of the line and are there any tests I can make using a volt meter to see whats failing.

Thanks again

#76890 11/01/05 09:05 AM
The list of what can be causing the static on the CO side is as endless as the amount of feet of cable between your customer and the Central Office. To do any effective testing on the CO side you would need a test meter that will stress test the pairs such as a Tempo Sidekick. Really if you troubleshoot it to the DeMarc by disconnecting all inside wiring and the static is still there it is the providers problem. I will generally call the provider for the customer and explain what I have found and ASSURE them that it is not on the customer's side. This because as far as the service provider is concerned it is always on the customer's side on the first call.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,303
Posts638,888
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,813 Shoretel
189,926 CTX100 install
188,040 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 7
dexman 6
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 176 guests, and 182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024