web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline
I'm dealing with an Avaya ACS7 Partner system. The unit will not retain system memory for more than 5 minutes if the AC power goes out. The two AAA batteries should hold the memory for a minimum of 45 days with NO ac power. Backup circuits are EXTREMELY simple however without a board layout or schematic it is virtually an impossible task to troubleshoot. Does anyone have a schematic and/or a board layout for this or a similar unit? I'd sure appreciate it. help

Help someone out today! You will feel GREAT for it!
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Bondo,
The condition you are experiencing is a bug in R7. Avaya has a patch available to correct it. Any Avaya Business Partner can download it from the sso.avaya.com website and install it for you.

Bill

Our most valuable products are our knowledge, experience and time.
OP Offline
WOW!!!!!!!!! That is AMAZING and a REAL load off my mind. I wonder why the "Avaya Technician Line" person didn't know about it.... I assume that it is a firmware patch?? This system is BRAND NEW but purchased from 2000 miles away. I installed it myself. I'd think that Avaya would be more than happy to let me have the patch since I'm a technician AND a customer. Am I dreaming? Hey Bill! Thanks!!! I appreciate you! BONDO

I wonder why the "Avaya Technician Line" person didn't know about it...

Just a wild guess but probably because you bought it from an unauthorized source making it gray market. You may not realize it but these things are not supposed to be sold to end users via the internet. You are supposed to buy from an Avaya business partner.

If you do a little research you will soon find that the R7 has major problems, one of which you discovered. As soon as Avaya releases a patch to fix one problem it causes another.

We have yet to sell even one R7 because of this situation. It is my opinion that R7s have been dumped into the gray market because it is there that end users and other unknowledgeable people go.

Unfortunately now you are going to have to deal with an Avaya dealer in order to get the patch, that is unless you do the correct thing and return the R7 because it is defective.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
Hi hbiss,

GEE! This is REALLY most upsetting. I feel like someone has hit me on the side of my head with a brick. I've been an electronic technician for 35 years. After having my old NEC ELECTRA 616 for about 20 years I decided to buy a new one. The first three people I spoke to raved about the high quality of the Avaya phones. I couldn't find anyone in my city to sell them, so I just did a search on the net and found a very courteous "no pressure" company to buy a system from. I find it VERY difficult to accept that a large company like Avaya would let a system out to be sold that has a MAJOR deficiency such as battery backup not operating. Yes, I admit to being naive about the grey market aspect of this but I wanted to buy AVAYA because of their reputation. I WOULD have purchased from a local retailer IF one had been available. Now it seems like Avaya is treating me like I have leprosy! I actually DID purchase a support policy and equipment plan from AVAYA JUST to get programming questions answered. Yes, I CAN get my questions answered from the company I bought them from, however I felt that an actual Avaya plan would "buy me the best". It appears as if I am getting the run around from them. Sad. I just want the fix for my problem. I wonder if I HAD bought this from an "authorized dealer" what they would be telling me now? Signed... Confused

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Hi Bondo!

I may be one of the lucky ones. I bought an R7 for the house and the memory survived perfectly during a 90 minute blackout earlier on in the summer. No UPS was in use at the time.

I would guess that Avaya is so focused on the IP Office product line, that the R7 was released before all the bugs were worked out.

Euro II telephone sets have been problematic as well. Reports of bad hook switches have been posted in this forum.

Avaya subcontracts the manufacture of ACS gear to an outside company named Celestica (Celestica also built Magix hardware right up until this past April when the Magix platform was retired).

Vendors have discovered that a new type of hook switch is being used in the Euro II phones. If Avaya requested that the new hook switch be used, then they should get another black eye. If Celestica switched parts on their own, then they deserve a black eye.

Best bet is to stick with the R6 processor and Euro I telephones.

I Love FEATURE 00
I actually DID purchase a support policy and equipment plan from AVAYA... I just want the fix for my problem.

I really don't see what the problem is. If I buy a pair of shoes and the heel falls off of one I return the shoes and either get a credit or a new pair.

If you actually do have a support and maintenance plan from Avaya there should be no problem getting your ACS replaced even after the dealer warranty period.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Bondo,
Avaya has 3 authorized distributors for their products and you must be an authorized business partner to buy from those distributors. There would be no difficulty whatsoever replacing your unit if it were purchased through an authorized business partner.
I am somewhat surprised that Avaya would sell you a support policy and equipment plan for a gray market unit. If you purchased the plan from the "dealer" that sold you the system, it may not be a valid support plan.
However, if you do have a valid equipment plan, tell them you want a replacement unit with the patch applied.
Sorry that our answers were not more encouraging.

Bill

OP Offline
hbis and BillyBob: I also am a bit surprised that Avaya sold me the policy after they nearly mashed me into the ground for not buying from them. But they did. My problem is that I paid for a BRAND NEW unused system. Avaya said they would replace the ACS with a refurbished one ONLY. I have not had the opportunity to reach the place I bought the system from. They are closed on weekends. They DID offer me a 5 year warranty. I can't understand why they don't just SEND ME the firmware update if in fact that IS what the fix is...a flash to a bios chip? Not like I'm asking to download the entire Avaya library. I just want my bug fixed. I purchased the converter plug assembly that goes from the cable plugged into ADMIN and convert it to 25 pin RS232. Does anyone here know for sure what the "cure" is? Is it simply a file to flash over to the ACS?

Bondo,
The patch is installed via a PCMCIA card inserted in one of the slots on the ACS unit. Your "dealer" can't send you the patch because they don't have access to the Avaya SSO website, which is where authorized business partners download it. They would probably charge you for the cost of the linear flash card.
Talk to your "dealer" monday and see what recourse they will offer you. Post back here and let us know what they say.

Bill

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,609 Shoretel
189,492 CTX100 install
187,712 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (JBean3329), 136 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024