web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#81268 10/02/06 04:48 AM
OP Offline
Hello I am hoping that someone could help me out. I am starting a new job soon that has a Avaya Definity phone system. I have been working on a Siemens Hicom for the last 4 years and have no real experence with the Avaya line. I did work on a couple of the small "Partner" systems but I doubt it is at all close.

I was hoping someone might have some manuals or insight on how to tackle this beast. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Partner Vs. Definity only have the Avaya name in common. As far as programming and/or hardware similarites, there are none.

Be ready to learn smile

Richard
AVAYA-NORTEL-SAMSUNG-PANASONIC-MITEL
www.acceleratedtelecom.com
CCS Offline
It really is just a learn as you go experience. The Definity is however a fairly easy system to admin as far as moves and changes. The systems should have come with a cdrom called Definity ECS Administration and Call Center which is usefull for admin and having the search function beats trying to find something in the manual.

As a company employee who a number of years ago was tossed into handling the telephone system I can tell you the following.... take a programming class. It is well worth the time and costs.

To Succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone. ..Reba McEntire
OP Offline
I appreicate all the advice. I started on Monday and have gotten to play around with the Avaya Site Administration software. Now if someone could explain to me what a VDN is and what it does...or a vector...then I will be off and rolling.

Are they like phantom's? Just trying to understand how it all ties together...

This may help. You have alot of reading ahead of you. There goes the weekend....

https://support.avaya.com/japple/cs...oductID=149068&temp.releaseID=280648

[Linked Image from phototiki.com]
CCS Offline
Think of VDN(vector directory number) in the same regards as a LDN(listed directory number)
Really just points a number to a vector. Think of a vector as a Macro. Its a way of getting calls to jump through hoops, go to a que, wait, go here, ring this phone, play a message telling callers your call is important, play hold music, etc... etc....

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
The best thing about the Definity programmers is the built-in "HELP" button. And it's in the DOS, Windows, and Avaya terminal, programmers. I was handed one in '92 and managed to get it back up and running, once I got RMATS folks to reset the password. Of course, the next thing they did was send a guy out to disable the remote access modem.
I've been working on them and programming them off and on ever since. They have their own language, but once learned it makes as much sense as any other manufacturers language. And the Definity will do some things you won't believe until you are asked if it will and research it.
I had 1 DID number that went to an extension, then a group, then another extension, etc, etc. If no one answered it, it would bounce around in the system for half an hour, then go to the operator. Got complaints, but they wouldn't let me change it. "Can't you fix this? But it still has to go in this order." In fact, I think that's why we lost the customer, after 3 years. The Honchos wanted it fixed, but my contact wouldn't let me make any changes until approved by number's owner, who of course would not allow changes.
John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,631 Shoretel
189,519 CTX100 install
187,778 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 107 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024