web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
GTech Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings, I was wondering if there is way to check to see if any ports are available thru the software of the merling Legend? Perhaps, an undefined or another type of indicator the says the port is available or no set is attached so that I can use the port. The previous techs just left all the line cords plugged in. I don't want to start disrupting service to end users by pulling line cords out. I subcontracted out to another outfit that said they are familar with Avaya and found out they weren't familiar with the legend, but the ACS. All the help is appreciated. Thanks.

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Caltech,

I would look into using Avaya's WinSPM software. You will be able to verify a lot of useful information with it.

Things like System configuration, which will show all of the cards and their vintages that are installed in the system. A system report will be helpful as well. One caveat though is that you don't want to print out a hard copy due to the size of the report. You'd be better off printing it to a file that you could look through later on.

Hope this helps.

Peter.

Another way to figure it out would be from MLX-20L press Menu, SYS Prog,Exit, SYS Renumber, Single, extension, then press inspect - display will show extension numbers of all ports. then you can ask customer which ones are active extensions. The display will show them in order as well, so if the 4th extension on the display is not in use, it is the 4th port from the bottom on the first extension card.

Go to Maintenance, Port, Station. Dial in the operator's extension and choose Test. You should get a response indictating the type of phone detected on that port.

Now hit Back, Status, Next, Next, Back, Test. This will test the physical phone on the next logical port. Repeat the Back, Status, Next, Next, Back, Test sequence as necessary to get through the whole switch. It's long and arduous, but is a sure-fire way to find out what's hanging (if anything) off the end of a logical port.

A far far easier way is to use the "Station Responding Test" feature in the Quick Access of WinSPM. Move extensions from the "Available" column over to the "Selected Extensions" column and touch the "Test Extensions" button. It will take several minutes, but it's worth the wait. You'll get a pretty, columnar report listing all extensions, a pass/fail test result and the type of telephone detected. A "No Response" result indicates a patched, but unused port.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Learn something new every day - thanks dagwood systems!

Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
I may be wrong but I thought the station responder test started with the magix 1.5

ttech ,your right, but then again we all get confused with what features on what release

GTech Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks! I have downloaded the database of the system. Is it possible to you WinSPM to pull up the database to see what is programmed, then make some changes and then upload the database to the system?

Moderator-NEC
Moderator-NEC
It all has to be done to a live processor. Either the up-and-running system or a processor of the same release in a backplane with the backup restored onto it.

Your best bet is to do a system inventory from WinSPM quick access panel and print it out. then you may be able to figure out, with the help of the customer, what is spare.

Thank you on the pointer about Magix 1.5! I think I just patched another hole in my knowledge.

Let's hope that Caltech is running a revision that will allow this feature to do the hard work for him.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,397 Shoretel
189,127 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 433 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024