web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#91589 10/14/08 07:08 AM
Goodman Offline OP
OP Offline
I am considering getting a Partner SOE for our office. We currently have the AT&T Spirit (yeah, its older than I am..literally), so its time for an upgrade.

We are a very small office. 2 lines in (plus a fax, but its independent), 4 phones, 3 employees. I do plan on growing, but we will always just have 3 employees..4 at the max. I guess I have two questions

#1 You think this is a good system for our needs?

#2 I have gotten one quote on the price of the system plus install. I have heard around that I might be able to set it up myself? I have decent computer/networking knowledge (no expert by any means). How hard would it be to install this myself since we have an existing system?

I ask because I can purchase the system for about $300 less than what I've been quoted and save the several hundred dollars on installation. Would I be in over my head? Thanks!

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

#91590 10/14/08 07:44 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
1. Yes, the Partner will suit your immediate needs and since parts and phones are reliable, you should be fine.

2. As long as you possess the skills and ability to extend two cable pairs from each station port on the module to the jacks with standard USOC RJ14 or 568B wiring patterns, the wiring portion shouldn't be too difficult. Since you already have a Spirit system in place, there shouldn't be any need to modify your existing wiring at all. That was part of the design beauty in these systems.

It is difficult to answer your "over my head" question since we have no idea of the level of expertise that you have. There are plenty of members here who can offer you more advanced support if needed (for a small fee). There is also a link at the top of this page to place you in touch with a qualified installer in your area should the need arise. Don't be afraid to ask.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#91591 10/14/08 07:52 AM
You need to consider several factors here. First is that you should never discount the role a reputable dealer plays. The $300 will be well worth it when you can't figure something out or you have warranty issues. I don't know what business you are in but I'm sure you won't be happy about not having phone service while you wait for someone to send you parts.

That of course brings up where you plan on purchasing your system. I'm sure it's an internet dealer. Keep in mind that most systems are only supposed to be sold by an authorized dealer who will provide installation, warranty and service should you need it. Just because something is sold on the internet doesn't mean it's supposed to be sold to the general public. You also take your chances with that so called "gray market goods". Sometimes it's new, sometimes it's new but from a lot with defects. When you buy from a dealer with installation they will stand behind the product.

The Partner is a solid system and well suited for your needs both now and in the future. Keep in mind that the SOE is a "package" system that cannot be expanded beyond 3 lines and 8 extensions. I think you would be better served by the ACS R7 that will handle 5 lines and 9 extensions right off and can be expanded if necessary.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#91592 10/14/08 09:24 AM
Goodman Offline OP
OP Offline
I understand and appreciate your opinions. From some diagrams I have seen online, it doesn't look to be too difficult.

I have since found a different system I am interested in. The ACS 6.0 with 4 phones and voicemail. Its all new and comes pre-programmed. It comes from ebay (I know alot of people might gasp at that) but they have very excellent feedback and have unlimited tech support. All in all, it would save me about $800 (if I did the install myself) and I'd have more capability of upgrading in the future vs the SOE (if I understand correctly).

Link removed because it contained pricing.

#91593 10/14/08 09:53 AM
We can't argue with you for trying to get the most for your dollar. All that we can say is that nothing is free or unlimited in this world, so we will do our best to help you. We don't make open-ended promises though.

Incidentally, the current version is R7, so this system is new old stock at best. "Liquidations" in the e-bay seller's name should be your first sign.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#91594 10/14/08 11:04 AM
Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
I would ask if that is a small office. That looks like the picture from the "Partner Small office"

A small office comes with 1-18D and 3 6-D's.

In which case, it is not expandable.

#91595 10/14/08 11:47 AM
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Yup, way down in the ad it says
ACS R6 Processor (SOE)

#91596 10/14/08 11:49 AM
I find this very interesting. If you go directly to Telecom Liqidations web site you can get the same deal as listed on E-Bay. They only have a 1 year warranty and no claim of unlimted support. I can tell you more E-Bay horror stories from my customers that you have time to listen. You may have a good experience. I wish you the best

Mike

#91597 10/14/08 11:53 AM
I guess I forgot to tell you to just be sure you have all of your bases covered. Heck the good folks here at Sundance can even help you out. And I am sure a lot of us can vouch for their reputation.

Mike

#91598 10/14/08 01:11 PM
I have since found a different system I am interested in. The ACS 6.0 with 4 phones and voicemail. Its all new and comes pre-programmed. It comes from ebay

Yup, way down in the ad it says:

ACS R6 Processor (SOE)

And there you have it my friend. The internet sellers prey on people like you looking to save a buck.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,710 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (pvj), 163 guests, and 248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024