web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I'm Lieutenant Hammer with the US Army Cadet Corps, we are a non-profit youth organization for young men and women ages 12-18, crimefree drugfree, doing well in school.

We recently purchased a military school in the heart of Kentucky. The school went bankrupt so we purchased the facility with all of the equipment and everything. In it was an Avaya Partner ACS R6.0 (pacs6.85.M).

Mr. Daniel has been a great help, I just don't want to keep bogging him down. I need to access the system using the PC Administrator, Mr. Daniel helped me set the password and I gained access. However when I retrieve the system translation it will not let me open it.

It gives me an error message: "Opening System Translation Information from C:\Program Files\Partner ACS R7.0.....\original.xmg has failed. Please help.

LT Hammer

1LT Clay Hammer, SC, USAC
Aide-de-Camp to the Commanding General
Headquarters,
United States Army Cadet Corps
859-484-2100
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

That's because you have an R6 and you are trying to open the retreived translation with the software for the R7.

Start over- this time when you open PC Admin scroll it down to "Partner ACS R6". Now connect to the system and retreive the translation, you should be able to open it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
When you fire up the software, click on CANCEL so that you are not trying to create a brand new set of translations from scratch. Then retreive the current translations from your switch.

However, it sounds like you're well past that point, in that you have set a password in the ACS, connected and received the translations, but can not open them up after receiving them.

I would try removing and reinstalling the software. I can send you a known good R6 translation file for you to try opening with your system, or you could send me your file to try here.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
Don't worry about bogging me down LT.
Give me a call if your need further help.

:thumb:

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Yeah, listen to Tommy not me. Looks like I haven't been doing it right either! :sleep:

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I worked with this gentleman for a bit this evening and found that the security features of Windows Vista is at play here.

I'll explain as briefly as I can: Programs have historically assumed full accessability to one's computer, a function normally reserved for one with Administrator abilities. Programmers always assumed Admin rights because 1) Microsoft didn't police it and 2) programming was much simpler if that part didn't have to be addressed.

Enter Windows Vista with UAC (User Account Control), which--in an attempt to increase overall security--limits applications to "standard" privileges unless told otherwise. Vista fools the legacy programs by pretending to let them write to their familiar file locations. In actuality, the saved files are secretly redirected to a "virtual store". This is done to protect certain folders that shouldn't be compromised, such as "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Windows". By default, the Partner PC Admin software is installed in "C:\Program Files\PARTNER ACS R7.0 PC Administration", which falls under the "oh no you don't, mister" category of software without proper credentials (under Microsoft's new laws).

The thing is that when you go to look for those files, you can't find them! And that's what Clay was experiencing. It was not until he clicked on the folder's "Show Compatibility Files" button that he could see his previously missing XMG files. But even with this view option engaged, you can't exactly open these files as you might expect.

This article covers the topic without too much jargon.

I shared with Mr. Hammer some of the ways that UAC may be defeated. I expect that he will report back a winning combination of setting that we can reference time and again for those of us with future PACS clients running Vista.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Good work Tim but that's not surprising. No idea this guy was using Vista. Even the guys over at the CATV board are reporting problems getting cable modems to work with it. I'm happy I made a big effort to keep XP on all my machines.

-Hal

One of the great things about the Partner is that you can easily program most features from ext 10 or 11. Once you get the hang of it you don't even need the manual. Why would you want to complicate things up (and spend time trying to diagnosis PC software problems) by using a laptop?

Keep It Simple. In the time it took to figure out the problem the entire system probably could have been programmed top to bottom. Why not just do things the easy way and not get all fancy trying to use the admin software? It looks like it came back and stole your time, at least this time. No offense, but I have a brother that is much smarter than I am but I get a lot more done in a day because he takes simple things and tries to over complicant things by about 10 times. don't do that here with your easy to program partner phone system would be my 2 cents

You have that right Brian. After I don't know how many years I just recently had to start using PC Admin to administer a system that I wouldn't want to travel to, and that's the only time I would want to use it. If I used it on site I would probly have to charge the customer for an extra half hour for dragging in the laptop and connecting- for something that might take 15 seconds to change from extension 10 or 11 without having to restart the system and knocking everybody off.

-Hal

I agree Brian, and I encouraged Mr. Hammer to consider programming the Partner from a console instead. Though he was familiar with it, he liked the PC Admin software (as I do).

However, I strongly disagree that my time was "stolen" by chasing this problem. Giving this kind of attention and assistance to another is never particularly efficient. But that's not what we do here.

In the time it took to figure out this problem, I learned just a little more about Windows Vista. I learned that Clay Hammer's first name was really Laurence, but that he preferred to be called by his middle name. During wait times between his phone calls, I took the trouble to learn about military rankings as I was unfamiliar with the term "1LT". Clay is just 23 years old, but may wind up being this forum's biggest cheerleader...you never know.

I don't know where it comes from, but many of us here have an irrational desire to help others. I don't try to understand it anymore, I just go along with it. Aside from feeling good about myself, I often learn something new during one of these troubleshooting sessions. Neither of those things is ever a waste of time.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
jc2it 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (BobRobert, Curlycord), 115 guests, and 243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024