web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
OK, I've screwed around with this for the better part of a day and gotten no where.

Merlin Legend V5, with 2 408 cards and an 012. The first two LS/GS ports on the first card are assigned to pool 70. The first two LS/GS ports on the second card are assigned to pool 890.

We have one console, an MLX-20L in QCC mode on the first MLX port of the first card. I can dial '9' and it will pick up one of the trunks in pool 70. I can dial a number and place a call.

The problems is that if one of the lines (in either pool) rings, I can't answer it. The console rings, and the trunk info is displayed on the screen (for example, "LDN 801") but if I pick up the handset, all I get is dialtone. Not the regular internal dialtone, but what sounds like phone company dial tone. It's not that, I disconnected the other lines to make sure. The system is generating this tone, and the line that is ringing is never actually answered. (I called from my cell phone and ringback continues until I press end, picking up the handset on the console makes no difference)

Now, I'm not overly familiar with the legend system (I've done mostly nortel), but I have all the manuals, and all the other programmabilities seem to have fallen into place. Any ideas to point me in the right direction?

One thing I haven't figured out, is how dialing '9' got assigned to that pool. After the system renumbering, it just happened to be that way. I can't find any way to change that, nor can I figure out how to assign a dial code to any of the other pools. None of which is a big deal, whereas being able to receive calls is, but it points to the probability that I'm missing something obvious.

Thank you in advance for any assistance...

Dylan. SATUBAW (Some American techs use BIX as well)!
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Can you answer by pressing a flashing key? Take a look maybe your hook switch is not working and all you get is a Speaker function. And why you have QCC Console instead of DLC? 4 lines only! You don't need QCC. Dial "9" is default ARS code attached to Poll 70. In order to have both Pools works on dialing "9" you have to program your Tables.

OP Offline
Hi! Thanks for the quick response...

The answer to the first question is no, the call "presents" (green light flashes) on the first available call position, but pressing the button doesn't do anything. I also tried answering via speaker, and it yields the same dial tone.

The QCC is just a matter of preference. Since I'm accustomed to the Nortel QCW4/M1250/M2250 style console, the QCC is the closest this system has to that concept. There is no technological or process-related reason that I chose the QCC, I just like it more.

I figured that the "9" was some kind of default for the main pool, but I never found where I would attach a dial code to any of the other pools, should I want to use them. That pool 890 was set up just for testing, to see if perhaps the first card was bad. When all the configuration is done, all four lines will go to the one pool.

In any case, I think I did what I could do, short of trying another MLX-20L (I don't have one hanging around) to rule out the set itself...Since the PBX isn't actually answering the line (evidenced by the fact that the calling party hears ringback until THEY hang up), my hunch is that something isn't programmed right. I noticed that there are several features which are incompatible with the QCC, and perhaps one of them is interfering.

One other thing that I noticed on the last test is that if the incoming call rings (as noted previously) and I ignore it instead of trying to answer it, after two rings, it stops ringing, the display clears and the green light stops blinking--even though the caller still hears ringback.

RIP Moderator
RIP Moderator
Yes, you got it right, something is programmed wrong.

What is programmed wrong is the fact that you are using the QCC Option.

Dump that and set the console for DLC.

It's my understanding that you are telling us you only have 4 lines.

The only time a QCC is required is if you have something more than 18 lines, and the Operator must answer each and every one of those.

Your dial 9 option chooses (BY DEFAULT) the 70 Pool due to (BY DEFAULT) factory ARS Settings.

I would set the system up to where the 1st 2 lines are in the 70 pool, and the last 2 are in the 890 pool, and I would add pool 890 to ARS tables 17/1 and 18/1.

Then I would change the 70 pool to be ARS pool 17/2 and 18/2.

That way your 1st 2 incoming lines would be the last choice for outgoing calls.

But having a QCC is a most TERRIBLE OPTION. I have preached against that since I was a Tier-3 tech support engineer with AT&T and Release 1 of the Legend.

It should NEVER be used.

So, like I said, get rid of that dog and go with the DLC.

By doing that, you can put all 4 lines on BUTTONS on the Main Console, and you can have the ability to program other buttons for features.

With the QCC, you do not have that flexibility.

As I stated, the QCC should NEVER BE USED!

RULE NUMBER 2, "THINKIN' WON'T GET IT, YOU GOTTA KNOW!" RULE NUMBER 3, if you need TIER-3 SUPPORT on a LEGEND or MAGIX, go to http://home.comcast.net/~merlinman -
OP Offline
Wow...nobody seems to like that poor QCC! A couple of my friends (offline) who work on ATT/Lucent/Avaya (or whatever they're calling themselves this month) on a regular basis have urged me not to use the QCC as well. Is this a particular bug, or a personal preference? I have been using (and training customers on) the Nortel SL-1/Meridian 1 consoles (where a Queued Call concept is the only option) for a dozen years or so, and that seems like the most efficient call handling method to me.

Actually, the biggest reason I've undertaken the task of replacing our SL-1 is that I want Caller ID. I'm sure the difference in the electric bill between the SL-1 and the Legend System will be nice, too. The downside is that between the PBX and our AS/400, our gas bill for heating was next to nothing smile

Right now I don't have a printer hooked up, but I've got the necessary adapter on order. I'm anxious to dump the program and take a look at it.

Now, this system was basically a trade-in, which means there was customer data in it. I figured by doing a board renumber and then a system renumber, everything would go back to factory defaults. Is there another procedure I need to perform to do a hard reset? I don't mind starting over--the whole project (up until I hit this little glitch) took only about 2 hours.

Of course, before I start all that, I'd like to get my hands on a copy of SPM.

OP Offline
Oh, and Merlinman, I almost forgot: thanks for responding, and for the advice, I appreciate your words of wisdom on the matter...

I don't know what can you program wrong in order to not be able to pick up and answer Incoming ringing line on QCC. I think you have a problem with Processor card otherwise I can't even think about what are other solutions can be offered. Maybe only to make sure all cards are snapped in all the way.
One more thing. Are your system in Hybrid Mode or Behind PBX mode?

OP Offline
Good news and bad news...

Good news is, the problem is fixed.

Bad news is, if I had been paying attention, this would never have come up.

Grab your popcorn, this should be good for a laugh:

During our fiddling yesterday, I had all of the lines going to analog extensions, so the switch could be turned on and off without a problem. I was using line 4 as a test line.

What I didn't realize, is that we couldn't dig up 4 analog sets, so my partner had forwarded (*xx) line 4 to line 3.

An odd thing happens around here with the call forwarding feature. When you call a line that is being forwarded, that line actually rings once, well a partial ring, anyway--more like a little chirp.

{{{By now, I'm sure you guys are laughing at me, go ahead, I deserve it}}}

Well this little chirp is enough to alert the system that there is a call on the line, but an attendant couldn't possibly pick it up in time to get the call. That's why the strange behavior: if I didn't try to answer it at all, the call would disappear (the light would stop flashing and the display would blank).

At one point, I had all four lines plugged in, testing the ability to outdial (port testing, basically), but mostly I was just testing on line 4. With the forward in place, the call wasn't staying on the line long enough to be answered.

OP Offline
Originally posted by vad60:
Are your system in Hybrid Mode or Behind PBX mode?
Hybrid/PBX mode, since you asked :thumb:

And thank you for trying to assist me. That's one of those problems we could not possibly diagnose online, but I sincerely appreciate that you tried.

Now, if you guys ever need help with old Nortel or Comdial stuff, hit me up, the least I can do is return the favor...

It's remind me another day when I spent almost 2 hours trying to figure out why only one DID goes into mailbox after one ring on PRI. I just finished to program a switch and tested only one DID. I checked out everything: DND, CFB, CFNA, Delay Coverage you name it. After I dial another DID and found out that it working find I realized that extension is forwarded to another number for Immediate Message. I nearly punch the guy who didn't remember that have done it few days before the actual move.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024