web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Thanks in advance for any info. I have a customer who would like to have an entry system at an external door where certain extensions (a total of three I am told) would ring when someone is at the door, and they could trigger an electric strike to open from inside the offices. Does the Definity switch have this type of capability? They have a decent sized Definity with an "A" and a "B" box. They also want video of the entrance but I can easily put that on a separate system either IP based or a normal analog camera. I am a low-voltage contractor for 25 years but I just know enough about phone switches to be dangerous, and I usually just provide structured wiring systems to support voice/data/video/control etc.

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

As we have a second floor reception desk with no elevator, I have a "hotline" phone set up in the first floor lobby. The keypad is inoperable, but when someone picks up the phone, it automatically dials the receptionist and speak with the visitor. The receptionist can also dial that phone extension to talk to the visitor. I'll have to look at the exact programming I have on the phone when I am back at work.

I'm sure there is some kind of unit that would intercom back and forth that wouldn't hook up to the telephone system.

As for the door release, I'll have to let the others add their ideas.

To Succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone. ..Reba McEntire
Liquidvw would be the one to talk to. No reason you couldn't use a Partner doorphone and a hotline as Rhonda suggests. The contact closure for the door strike is another matter however that I know nothing about on the Definity.

If there are POTS line ports you certainly could use a door controller and doorbox from Viking that would take care of everything.

That said, you really need to keep in mind that the Definity is a very difficult system and something you shouldn't be mucking around with unless you have had considerable experience and training with it. So what I'm suggesting is that you handle the CCTV and refer the rest to their dealer.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
A single Viking C-2000A with perhaps a Viking E-35-EWP at each entrance should do the trick. The manufacturer offers similar products that accomodate proximity fobs as well.

Adams Rite has a variety of electric strikes that you might want to look into. I've used their 5192 and AC-7140 models successfully.

You've got a starting point and some basic answers, which should satisfy your original question. But for completeness, I'd like to underscore Hal's assertion that your scope of work be limited to your skilset (and/or license). The local wiring, door strike and entry pad may be right up your alley...so go for it! But you definately want to leave the PBX connections and programming to a local guru; a point that I cannot stress enough here.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
you know no one every asked me to install a door strike, but the viking products should work just fine.

[Linked Image from phototiki.com]
RIP Moderator-General
RIP Moderator-General
The Viking C 2000A will do what you want!! They work well with the Definity, then you can set up a "call answer group" with your 3 extensions so they all ring at the same time..works like a charm. We have a couple locations set up that way with no problems.. Good luck !!

...bob...

Bob Wells
WellComm, Inc.

"As long as nobody's dead or in jail, it can't be all that bad ! "
OP Offline
Thanks Rhonda, Hal, Dagwood, liquidvw, and Wellco. What a consulting group! Let's see, at your respective billing rates, I guess I owe the board $600 for this question alone!!!! The Viking unit should work nicely. Again, I appreciate having ther ability to consult with experts like yourselves. It is totally awesome. It's one thing to look at products that are out there, it's totally another thing to have someone say "yeah, I installed that and it works well with your system". Excellent.

OP Offline
Tim (dagwoodsystems) - That E-35-EWP is very cool - I would never have found that on my own. Excellent and thank you again.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,708 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Curlycord, Toner), 102 guests, and 245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024