web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
wmr Offline OP
OP Offline
I am having trouble with a Merlin legend. The problem is with the 408 Module in the 2nd Cabinet, the 408 Card is located to the right of the 2nd Power supply. Port 54, 55 and 56 seem to be dead when I plug a Merlin Style Telephone into those Ports. Port 57, 58, 59, 60, and 61 are okay.

When I swap the 2nd 408 in the second cabinet with the 1st 408 Card I get the the same results. Is the Back Plane Slot the Problem? When the problem module is move to the next slot to the right all 8 ports are okay. The module that was in slot 2 after the 2nd power supply is install into slot 1 it has the same problem.

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

you have a problem possibly with your wiring to one of the first three , surprising that it normally knock out the four
take them out at the module , and place one at a time with a phone at the module , if it works continue, until it kills the others , then you have found your problem

392 Offline
Also look at the module and verify that the two are correctly administered in the system. If one is an ATL 408 & the other a MLX 408, swapping them around can confuse the switch and may cause a busy out of ports and/or the slot. Do a busy/reset of the slot and, if that has no effect, do a board renumber.

The backplane rarely goes bad, and then usually only due to a direct lightning strike. You can imagine that the backplane is not the only thing that smokes in that case....

wmr Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the Help. The trouble was found at ext 57, a defective merlin Telephone. That scares me, 1 defective Telephone can take 3 other ports down.

RIP Moderator
RIP Moderator
That is the nature of the ATL Beast.

1 phone can kill 4 ports, it's been like that since the Merlin II days.

The design for MLX Phones made sure that didn't happen.

RULE NUMBER 2, "THINKIN' WON'T GET IT, YOU GOTTA KNOW!" RULE NUMBER 3, if you need TIER-3 SUPPORT on a LEGEND or MAGIX, go to http://home.comcast.net/~merlinman -
A wiring or Jack problem caused this. A jack got shorted wet from a mop? Who knows.

Power down and remove the stations from the affected ports ports and power up and bring a set to the control unit and test each port at the unit to see if the stations have cleared. I doubt the phone but the wire from the phone to the jack. Check your steps. It's almost a good design feature for the technician because it's say's Ive got a high resistance short.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,835
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,643 Shoretel
189,526 CTX100 install
187,783 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 147 guests, and 342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024