atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: jwallask DK-280 & ISDN integrated PRI - HELP!!! - 09/25/06 09:28 AM
I'm losing what's left of my mind here....

Client has an upgraded DK-280 running version 4.3, a BPTU PRI interface & the carrier; Conversant (...or whatever they're called today...) is trying to implement an integrated PRI.
They're using an Adtran "Total Access 600 Series" integrated access device with a DSX-1 port.
The first 13 channels are for Internet access, the next 10 channels are for D.I.D. voice traffic via the DSX-1 port & plugged into the BPTU in the switch and channel 24 is the "D" channel.
I've got a bunch of "traditional" ISDN PRI installs under my belt, with the very same DK-280 configuration, but have no practical experience with this Conversant integrated solution. And so for, it has not been a good experience.
The carrier cannot see the "D" channel from the BPTU. We've replaced the BPTU thinking it was suspect, ...no go.

Has anyone out here got any practical experience with this type of configuration that could possibly shed some light here???

Thanks!
-John
how many B channels do you have??
If you want X channels of bandwidth and X channels of PRI, you use an Adtran 3200 with a DSX-1 port.

I've never seen an Adtran 600 series that does PRI. An Adtran 624 is a channel bank that gives you 24 analog lines.

They have 604s and 616s that are partial analog lines and bandwidth.

Were I you, I would call Adtran tech support at 1-888-423-8726 (NO caller ID blocking allowed-no help at all-no call back) and give them the model number of the Adtran equipment you have on site.

I betcha Conversant is all screwed up. I betcha.
Posted By: jwallask Re: DK-280 & ISDN integrated PRI - HELP!!! - 09/25/06 06:13 PM
LOL, ....and it wouldn't be the first time I've been foiled by Conversant!
In any event, I've been researching the Adtran unit & I too suspect something is amiss there.... You’re correct in your assessment of the 600 series. It doesn’t appear to support PRI. While the 904 series does….
I have an acquaintance at Adtran that's the region's sales support guru. I'll need to run this up his flagpole too....
We have several sites where bandwidth comes into the Adtran 3200 and X number of PRI channels and the D channel come out the DSX-1 port and bandwidth flows out a second port.

This works flawlessly once programmed.

Not know which 600 series unit you have makes it impossible to research but if it has a DSX-1 port, it may support T-1 and not PRI.

The model number you have and a brief call to Adtran will confirm everything. I would call in to Adtran while on site and if the unit is able to give PRI, the Adtran technicians are the best I have seen from any company bar none and they will have you up and running. At least you will know the certain truth, this is the best of the best tech support.
Posted By: jwallask Re: DK-280 & ISDN integrated PRI - HELP!!! - 09/26/06 05:06 AM
Originally posted by Steve Mull:
how many B channels do you have??
Steve, looks like Conversant is handing off 10 or 12 B channels for D.I.D. to me.
If you only have 12B channels, wouldn't your D channel be 13?
Posted By: jwallask Re: DK-280 & ISDN integrated PRI - HELP!!! - 09/26/06 06:10 AM
That's the rub. I need to learn if they're handing me their channels 13 - 23 as my channels 1 - 12 with my channel 13 as the "D". ...apparently, I now need to be an Adtran guru too! ;-)
If they said that the d channel is on the 24th, then I'd would set the BPTU for the same. What slot do you have the BPTU in and what code in prog 03 did you assign the BPTU?
To answer your question on whether the Adtran 600 is PRI capable, I'm looking at an Adtran 600R right now with integrated data and PRI that's working on a Toshiba CIX. The first 8 channels are for voice with the d channel on 24.
Posted By: jwallask Re: DK-280 & ISDN integrated PRI - HELP!!! - 09/26/06 11:12 AM
Phonemeister, the BPTU is in slot 23 with slot 24 vacant. In program 03, it's option code 79.
Conversant has the circuit configured as channels 1 - 12 for Internet, 13 - 23 for D.I.D. voice & 24 for D.
And for the record, Conversant does NOT have a very good track record of installing these things around here....
You have channels 13 to 23 only set in your 01 trunk group and you've specified your D channel as 24?
Do you have a sync light flashing on the BPTU? Any LEDs lit on the BPTU?
Posted By: jwallask Re: DK-280 & ISDN integrated PRI - HELP!!! - 09/27/06 06:28 AM
Bunnie, yes.
Phonemeister, I have a good sync from the network & no errors.

Anyone know if there's a distance limitation from the "smart-jack" to the KSU? The Verizon "smart-jack" is located 3 floors below the client's office space and is extended to the suite via crappy old UTP cable.
The distance is fine. Does the data portion of the Adtran work?
Posted By: jwallask Re: DK-280 & ISDN integrated PRI - HELP!!! - 09/27/06 10:49 AM
Interesting question. I don't really know as Conversant has their techs there onsite focusing solely on the voice side. I’ve downloaded & printed the 300 page user’s guide to bone up on that Adtran 600R. Perhaps their techs are simply unable to configure it correctly.
Originally posted by Old blond hippity hopping Bunnie:
The model number you have and a brief call to Adtran will confirm everything. I would call in to Adtran while on site and if the unit is able to give PRI, the Adtran technicians are the best I have seen from any company bar none and they will have you up and running. At least you will know the certain truth, this is the best of the best tech support.
Please don't listen to Bunnie and call Adtran, the manufacturer, that would be a waste of time. Whatever you do, don't call Adtran tech support at 888-423-8726 **NO CID blocking, you can figure it out from the book, you don't need no stinking tech support. [sigh]
Posted By: jwallask Re: DK-280 & ISDN integrated PRI - HELP!!! - 09/28/06 06:39 AM
Oh Bunnie.....
You might have missed the part where I said I have a dear old acquaintance, at Adtran, that's this area's sales support guru. ....he makes certain the sales weasels aren't lying to the prospects too much!
In addition to this telecom thang that I do, I’m also a MCSE and am fairly comfortable around a router. ….printing the documents from Adtran just makes me that much more dangerous. :-)
What is pgm *43-1 have programmed? I'll assume you followed the cheatsheet for PRI DID in the manual and have tested placing a loopback device on each side of the interface. Who's property is the Adtran, who programmed the Adtran?
Way too many times I have experienced that the local RBOC has locked out the "D" channel because when it was installed nobody placed a loopback on the circuit and it will set off an alarm at the RBOC. If you loopback the circuit at the smartjack can the carrier see the D? If that works plug the circuit directly into the DK and program as D=CH24, and CO's=13-23 place the line appearances on a spare 20 button phone and see if you get dialtone. If you do try placing a call, if the dialtone drops before you finish dialing then your D isn't up. the provider needs to give you the channels as 1-12 and the D stays on 24, out of the Adtran, if they will do that all is good. Program it as a fractional PRI and busy out the unused ports.
Posted By: jwallask Re: DK-280 & ISDN integrated PRI - HELP!!! - 09/28/06 07:57 PM
Telephonyman, allegedly Conversant has the D channel on 24. Where is where I have it in prog 43-1. I've long suspected that I can't have them hand off the 10 D.I.D. channels on anything other than channels 1 - 10 to me. They should be able to port map that for me out of the Adtran's DSX-1 port.
One huge issue here is the fact they didn't bring in a separate circuit for this. Instead they rebuild an existing T1 on the fly which involves a tech onsite, and 2 other CO's involvement. A huge PITA!!
Originally posted by jwallask:
Oh Bunnie.....
You might have missed the part where I said I have a dear old acquaintance, at Adtran, that's this area's sales support guru. ....he makes certain the sales weasels aren't lying to the prospects too much!
In addition to this telecom thang that I do, I’m also a MCSE and am fairly comfortable around a router. ….printing the documents from Adtran just makes me that much more dangerous. :-)
[Picture Bunnie just shaking her head, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and.........]

What I can't understand, is that with Conversant and an Adtran sales support guru and an MCSE why it didn't work within the first 5 minutes? There is more brain power there than in all the Adtran techs put together and there is no reason to have them remotely access the Adtran, that would just be a waste of your time to call a toll free number.

Reminds me of the time the car I was in ran out of gas, got rear ended because it wasn't all the way off the road, and burst into flames while we stood there watching. The driver insisted he didn't need to ask for directions and he always had a gallon left when the gage was all the way to the bottom.

He was a computer programmer of some kind, I don't know if he had any MS degrees or not but I never rode in his replacement car. The club was inbetween two of the gas stations he wouldn't stop in to ask for directions. And they talk about blondes......

Maybe if you plugged it into 220 instead of 110 and reinitialized it you could stop worrying about it, in fact I'm sure of it.
Posted By: jwallask Re: DK-280 & ISDN integrated PRI - HELP!!! - 10/02/06 02:56 PM
....an option I hadn't considered, ....until now.
For a serious option, assuming this customer is still waiting for a solution, why not just put it on the shoulders where it belongs at this point and have Adtran modem into the unit while you are on line with the carrier. This is past your responsibility to solve on your own, this by now is certainly an issue involving the best tech support people at your carrier, Adtran and you on site to reset, reboot, etc. anything that will get the customer up and running the correct way.

We are all supposed to care more for getting the customer up than any turf battles or personal pride or anything else. This is far and away from punching down 1A2 when you could just look at the print and follow it, you can't be sure what they are sending you on what channel for positive. POTS was easy, this is a team effort. Go team go.
Posted By: Al Rondon Re: DK-280 & ISDN integrated PRI - HELP!!! - 10/21/06 06:06 PM
I am converting a "Trunk" T1 with DIDs to a PRI T1 on a Tosh DK280. I followed the quick programsheet for ISDN PRI LDN/DNIS and the carrier was immediatly able to see my D channel, was able to perform outbound calls but could not get any inbound calls. Needed to abandon the conversion very late last night. FRUSTRATED. I know something's got to be suspect with my routing but could not figure it out. CAN ANYONE HELP??!!
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help