Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#252207 11/08/07 07:57 AM
OP Offline
Hello.

Does anyone here have any experience setting up fax servers? I would be interested in the method used to route faxes to the different destination.

Do you have to manually route them or does can your system recognize the dialed fax number? Does it required a dedicated modem or can it route based on dialed number?

Thanks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#252208 11/08/07 10:37 AM
I use a product called ActiveFax https://www.actfax.com

It does routing based on DID number dialed. And has quite a few features. I like it because of the ability to add faxing from the programs I develop.

#252209 11/08/07 10:47 AM
Admin
Admin
I use Netsatisfaxtion. It works via DID to route faxes. faxback

[Linked Image]
#252210 11/08/07 01:14 PM
For a fax server you could use Windows Fax in Windows Server 2003, which works pretty well. For a web/internet enabled fax you can look into something like Hylafax or any other various fax servers.

As far as routing it depends on the system. I can do DID and fax-detection routing within asterisk. I can also make Asterisk act as a big fax-modem if spend the hours to install SpanDSP. This probably isn't the solution you are looking for tho. The first paragraph will probably be more what you need.

#252211 11/08/07 02:57 PM
OP Offline
Thank you for sharing your experience with fax servers.

When you guys say that you route based on DID number:

1. Do you have your phone system route different DID numbers to different extension. Then assign a dedicated modem to each extension?

2. Do you have your phone system somehow pass through the DID numbers via a DTMF tone or some other method that your fax server can recognize?

3. Do you used the SMDR data of your phone system to somehow match up to the received fax in order to route it?

I am assuming we are talking about DID service with a PRI or T1 phone line into your system?

Thanks.

#252212 11/08/07 03:37 PM
Sure... it all depends on how you implement it.

#252213 11/08/07 03:52 PM
Admin
Admin
Originally posted by samsungsystemsreturns:
Thank you for sharing your experience with fax servers.

When you guys say that you route based on DID number:

1. Do you have your phone system route different DID numbers to different extension. Then assign a dedicated modem to each extension?

2. Do you have your phone system somehow pass through the DID numbers via a DTMF tone or some other method that your fax server can recognize?

3. Do you used the SMDR data of your phone system to somehow match up to the received fax in order to route it?

I am assuming we are talking about DID service with a PRI or T1 phone line into your system?

Thanks.
1. Yes it routes to the appropriate extension. Since it's a fax you don't want it going to the phone...generally it goes to a box for distribution. Based on the DID digits it then routes it to your email address as a .TIF or .PDF doc. No modems needed.

2. Yes it is via DID DTMF.

3. SMDR happens after a call is terminated for tracking purposes and has nothing to do with fax routing. Fax routing is based upon received digits being translated to valid email addresses.

Yes you must have PRI/T1 service.

[Linked Image]
#252214 11/08/07 05:04 PM
OP Offline
1. Yes it routes to the appropriate extension. Since it's a fax you don't want it going to the phone...generally it goes to a box for distribution. Based on the DID digits it then routes it to your email address as a .TIF or .PDF doc. No modems needed.

2. Yes it is via DID DTMF.

3. SMDR happens after a call is terminated for tracking purposes and has nothing to do with fax routing. Fax routing is based upon received digits being translated to valid email addresses.

Yes you must have PRI/T1 service.
1. My phone system can route the fax to any extension in the system. I know this part but I am confused about the part that you say it does not go to a modem? If the fax is not going to a modem, then where does it go? How does the fax call get accepted? My understanding that all faxes must be received by a modem( either on a fax machine or a fax server/PC)?

2. Is your fax server able to accept DTMF tones directly? Are you referring to some type of after-dial situation where your program your system to redial the routing DTMF tones after the fax server has picked up the call?

In other words, can all faxes route to the same extension(connected to the fax server) then somehow have the fax server tell which DTMF tones were dialed or do you have to setup a unique extension for each dialed fax number to determine the destination?

Thanks.

#252215 11/09/07 01:47 AM
Most systems that can accept a PRI can handle sending what the fax server needs. The scenario is, a fax call comes in on a certain DID which is programmed as one of a group of "fax DID's".
The system routes the call to the specified extension (a single extension for all "fax did's or group of extensions if the fax server has multiple ports).
When the call reaches the fax server, the phone system sends DTMF digits that show the DID number called. (similar to how voicemail systems know which mailbox a call is for)
The fax server receives the fax and routes the document to the intended user(s) by the DTMF digits it received.

#252216 11/09/07 04:23 AM
OP Offline
Originally posted by ipofficeguy:
Most systems that can accept a PRI can handle sending what the fax server needs. The scenario is, a fax call comes in on a certain DID which is programmed as one of a group of "fax DID's".
The system routes the call to the specified extension (a single extension for all "fax did's or group of extensions if the fax server has multiple ports).
When the call reaches the fax server, the phone system sends DTMF digits that show the DID number called. (similar to how voicemail systems know which mailbox a call is for)
The fax server receives the fax and routes the document to the intended user(s) by the DTMF digits it received.
Ok, now I understand what you are saying.

The key factor is making sure you can get your phone system to resend those DTMF digits perhaps with a voicemail configuration setting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,407 Shoretel
189,166 CTX100 install
187,426 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 154 guests, and 432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024