@Andy - NID's are not an issue - either your dial tone is going to be on one of the 6 pairs or not.

AT&T (SBC/PacBell/Pacific Telephone) typically uses one of these for a business installation: [Linked Image from 205.186.133.46]

This is the Minimum Point Of Entry, where we are requesting to know which of the 100 binding posts my customer's numbers should be on. Since that count of the F2 may appear at multiple premises, we don't want to spend the time to ID all the numbers on the block, and also risk interrupting someone's conversations or even DSL connection.

Last week, for the first time, I was refused the Binding Post number from AT&T repair - it was a new number, I could not find it on any of the 100 possible pairs, and wanted to know A): if the order was complete, and B): where it should appear. If the order wasn't yet complete I would tie down my jumper and tag it for AT&T to move if they worked it to another BP.

They said that the order was complete, but couldn't tell me where it was, but could have a tech come out and tag it. (Which they did within 4 hours - but it still required a return trip from us)