Chris -

Station cable numbers shouldn't change. (I do remember trying to troubleshoot one job where the station cables were marked with the names of the people who sat at those desks - when the job was cabled!)

As far as cross-connect colors - 3 pair x-connect is for 1A2 only. (There is a 2.5 pair cross connect that we used to use for transmission work on DSX bays that looks similar, but isn't). For single pair White/Blue was very common. NY Tel used Yellow/Blue at some point. GTE used White/Orange.

When I did a very large job I used to use different color cross connects for different things (ex. In a hospital W/BL for patient phones and W/OR for Admin phones, W/R for emergency sets. On the Trunk side W/BL for OGT, W/OR for DIDs etc..) It made tracing cross connects easier on a frame 20' long.

Basically though on a small job not much of that is necessary. I would advise against one color of single pair for everything, especially if some of the connections require 2 or 3 pairs. It makes trouble shooting very difficult. I remember finding an Electronic Key System (NEC Electra 100 maybe?) where the entire job was done with BL/Y. I called the foreman in charge and had the installer come back and do it right - on his own time. It was either that or get laid off.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"