Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
Originally Posted by gelehu
Theres a wealth of info and videos on You Tube. Heres one, for example
Just search for "network cable install"

keep in mind just because its on youtube doesnt mean its right , at another board we've posted quite a few youtube videos where the person doing them is obviously clueless

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I'm going with Mr. Bloom. Mount a terminal if there's enough slack and cut everything down. Might even get away with a 66 and cover if a desk isn't in the way.

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
OP Offline
Everyone-

Thank you all for all the great comments. You guys are great! After reading your comments, I think I've got it. I really like the 66E3-25 terminal block idea. I think this block would mount nicely right below the existing station, which is off near a corner and out of the way. I'll have to talk to my friend to verify that he doesn't mind the mounted block. If he objects, then I'll go ahead and splice with the Scotchlocks as suggested. And, yes, I'll pull 4 pr to the stations, not 2 pr as I asked in my previous post.

Looking at the cabling in the phone closet, it appears that most suites are fed by a 25 pr cable. Furthermore, it looks like the cabling is perhaps left over from an abandoned 1A2 installation. If I'm correct, is this cable even twisted pair? Just curious more than anything else.

Thanks again folks. You guys have been great!

Brad

Last edited by InstallPhones; 06/21/13 12:43 AM.
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Telxonator
OP, you sound like me! I am the same way in wanting to do it right the first time. I too am not a pro, but I ask questions, read, and watch how the pros do it. Cabling seems to be my passion too!

I plan to get on with an install company where I live, get more experience with the work, learn all I can, then hopefully in a few years, start my own company for residential and small business wiring of phone, networking, cable tv etc. The class 2 stuff.

Good luck with your endeavors!

Thanks Will. It is an exciting field. I wish I had gone into it for a career, but life took me in a different direction. Luckily, Im exposed to small projects that I can take on and I can talk to real professionals on this forum.

Much success as you move into this career. I'm sure we'll cross paths again on this forum.

Brad

Last edited by InstallPhones; 06/21/13 12:47 AM.
If I'm correct, is this cable even twisted pair?

Yes it's twisted as should be obvious if you know how to terminate it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I really like the 66E3-25 terminal block idea. I think this block would mount nicely right below the existing station, which is off near a corner and out of the way. I'll have to talk to my friend to verify that he doesn't mind the mounted block. If he objects, then I'll go ahead and splice with the Scotchlocks as suggested

this is a punchdown block so you wouldn't be splicing with scothclocks . I think the splicing with scothlocks is a better solution for a novice those blocks can be challenging to punch down in limited space with limited cable slack

if it were me I would be splicing with scothlocks

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
If you had the luxury of having the 25 pair cable in a closet with good access, then you could terminate the 25 pr on a 66 block (or 110),and terminate all pairs of all station cables on another block. Then interconnect between blocks only the pairs needed with a 1 pr jumper. Easy to move/add/change later. But you have to work with what you've got.

If there is any place at all to do this, even in a closet down the hall, I'd extend the 25pr to do it. Any type of termination in a ceiling would be the very last resort. I'd put a backboard on a wall in an office to do it the right way, before resorting to splicing in 4 pair or using the 66E3. Heck get a cheap medicine cabinet and hide your backboard in there.

Retired phone dude
OP Offline
Originally Posted by skip555
I really like the 66E3-25 terminal block idea. I think this block would mount nicely right below the existing station, which is off near a corner and out of the way. I'll have to talk to my friend to verify that he doesn't mind the mounted block. If he objects, then I'll go ahead and splice with the Scotchlocks as suggested

this is a punchdown block so you wouldn't be splicing with scothclocks . I think the splicing with scothlocks is a better solution for a novice those blocks can be challenging to punch down in limited space with limited cable slack

if it were me I would be splicing with scothlocks

Thanks Skip.
I should have worded my post better. I meant to write that I would splice and use Scotchlocks only if I couldn't use the block--not use Scotchlocks with the block.

Hall-
Thanks, I've terminated several Cat3 25pr cables in the past. On those, the twist was obvious. However, these cables are quite old and the twist is not as obvious to me.

Bill-
I agree. However, this cable comes up through the floor and I really don't see anyway to move it. Now, in other suites, the 25pr is in the ceiling, and it would allow the cable to be brought down through the ceiling and terminated to a block on a backboard.

Everyone, thanks again..

Brad

Last edited by InstallPhones; 06/21/13 11:32 AM.
Hal-
Thanks, I've terminated several Cat3 25pr cables in the past. On those, the twist was obvious. However, these cables are quite old and the twist is not as obvious to me.

It probably was from the days before CAT anything was invented but it still was always twisted to reduce crosstalk. Maybe not as much even as CAT3 but it was twisted. My point above is that when terminating you should remove at least a foot of jacket then unwrap the binder carefully so as to keep the pairs together. Otherwise you will be pulling your hair out matching them up if they get separated.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
If there is not enough slack in the suite to mount a block on the end of the cable, I think I would do a semi-permanent 25 pair splice in the ceiling below with either BIX or 110 block (or even a pair of amphenols) to extend the full 25 pair cable to a 66 block in a good spot somewhere within the suite.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,723 Shoretel
189,766 CTX100 install
187,923 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 103 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024