Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#6908 08/03/05 02:18 AM
OP Offline
Hi,
I have the task of finding, buying, and installing a phone system in a newly renovated lawyers' office building. I have mostly been looking at Nortel systems because one of the lawyers coming in has an old 6x16 Meridian system. There is no big reason for them to stick with Nortel, except for maybe being able to use the old phones, but they want a completely new system.

I have gotten somewhat familiar with the Nortel brand from online research, and It looks like what they would want is an MICS so future expansion won't be limited, and a Callpilot 100 for voicemail. They would probably start with about six incoming lines, and up to 10 extensions.

I have been searching google to try to find reviews that compare the different brands, but such reviews are hard to find.

What other brands and systems should I be considering, and where can I find some information comparing them?

I have done phone and computer network installations, but never a phones system, which is why I am unfamiliar with it all. I am not at all worried about the installation, just about buying the best hardware for their needs.

Thanks,
Nate

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#6909 08/03/05 02:31 AM
Norstar is a good product, If you never installed one I reccomend you hire a professional to do so. A seasoned telephone technican that never installed one would have a problem installing one of these systems.

Walter

#6910 08/03/05 02:35 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Honestly, any brand of phone system will do just fine for a law firm. Just about all systems have an equal compliment of features and reliability.

What's most important would be the credentials of the installing company. Many systems can be purchased from a supply house or over the Internet with little or no training requirements by the manufacturer. That's a big problem because if the system is installed by someone who's not qualified, they can make the system appear to be "bad". You should seriously check out the installing company, thier track record, their references, and MOST importantly, their licensing. Just having a business license is not always the only thing required.

Best of luck.

------------------
Ed
---------
How come there's always enough time to go back and fix it a second time?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#6911 08/03/05 02:49 AM
OP Offline
I'm going to be honest here, and I hope you don't dismiss me for it. I plan to do the installation myself. I am no "seasoned telephone tech", but a third year computer engineering student. As long as I have a manual to work from, I should be able to figure it out just fine. I think I will also have some fun installing it, and make some money for college.

Thanks,
Nate

#6912 08/03/05 02:57 AM
RIP Admin
RIP Admin
Not to be rude but you are going to find out that you are in a different world when you approach the telephone switch, not to mention the call pilot.
I wish you luck on your install.

Russ runs a local service and private tech center.

[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com][/url]
#6913 08/03/05 03:00 AM
<climbs onto the soap box>
I just feel the need to tell you that you are making a mistake in thinking that computer experience will allow you to install and program a phone system.
I am going to guess that, no matter what system you try to install yourself, in about 6 months the lawyers will hate whatever system you install and bad-mouth it to everyone. This will be because you do not have the knowledge or experience to set it up and program it properly.
The equivalent of what you are saying about being a computer student is "I have been installing and programming phones for three years so I should have no problem setting up a Linux network as long as I have a manual."
Every phone system has its own terminology and its own set of quirks. With no knowledge of the language, let alone the hardware, you are getting in way over your head.
I hope that the people that you are doing this for know that they have hired a completely unqualified rank amature to handle the set-up of one of their most important business tools.
<climbs down off of the soap box>

#6914 08/03/05 03:06 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Squeek
Let me be honest. I dont know if a Law office would be my choice for a first install. You know Law suits for lost business and what ever else they can come up with. What ever money you could make wouldnt be worth the risk you take.

------------------
ssimpson@oneringtelecom.com Need a Telrad Programmer Kit? Telrad Programmer Kits

#6915 08/03/05 03:11 AM
OP Offline
I was afraid this would happen. I did not mean that I think my knowledge of computers will help me, I mean that I am able to understand complex problems, and learn quickly. I doubt these systems are more complicated than calculus, differential equations, or physics, all of which I have aced.

You are probably thinking if I do this, that I will be posting on the forums with all kinds of noob questions and be a constant nag, but I don't think that will be the case. I was just hoping I could ask a few questions now and then and not be dismissed. Especially like the one I just asked, that will not appear in any manuals.

The lawyers know exactly who I am and what my (lack of) qualifications are, and are not worried a bit.

Thanks,
Nate

#6916 08/03/05 03:14 AM
OP Offline
SSphone:

They are friends of the family. There is no need for me to worry about that, but thanks for the concern.

#6917 08/03/05 03:17 AM
OP Offline
paul144:

The CPA programmed his Nortel Meridian system by himself. It came with a nice chart, which he filled out and it guided him through the programming. He showed me the chart and it looked very installer friendly. He used it for about 10 years.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,390 Shoretel
189,114 CTX100 install
187,418 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 121 guests, and 384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024