Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
OP Offline
I'm looking for someone's idea of a solution for this. I can't use a C.O. port for external paging because the customer needs the phones to receive paging concurrently with the external paging. TO accomplish this on the phone system I have to utilize the external page port. I can page to different zones on the phone system and have audio go to the external page port on both, yet close a different contact closure depending on which zone is being paged. I have 2 buildings that need to receive the phone/external page, but not in both buildings at the same time. If I had a PagePac, I could do it, since the PagePac required a closure in order to activate the paging output on the amp. I have Bogen paging equipment, and need to try and use existing equipment. What I am trying to find is something that has a tip/ring paging input and a tip/ring paging output, with the output being controlled by a contact closure. When I close the contacts on this intermediary device, it would allow the tip/ring paging output to go over to my amp. In this situation then, I would have two of these intermediary devices. Audio from the phone system would always go to both, but depending on which contact was closed would determine which amp would receive tip/ring audio. Raise your hands if I've lost you. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

Neither Bogen nor Viking indicated that they had a solution to fit this bill. So far, short of using old-school relays and such (not to knock that, just looking for a cleaner, out-of-box solution), we have come up with using a Viking M2W and just tie it to one of the phones in the page zone, then use the M2W to feed the paging input side of the amp. I don't care too much for the M2W because it requires cracking open the phone, but if that's what we have to do, that's what we'll do. I'm just wondering if any of you brilliant people can figure out, or have used, something else that does what I am describing.

Sorry for being so long-winded (worded). It took me a while to get Bogen and Viking to understand what I was looking for and trying to accomplish, so I wanted to make sure I was clear when describing on here.

Thanks!

------------------
[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

What phone system are you using? I think I understand what you are doing. I am assuming you have 2 amps? And you need to have audio to go through the phones AND have mutli paging zones and overhead. Is this right and what does the relay do for you?

Assuming you have 2 amps I have a solution abeit someone will surely fry my for this. Rather than using the page port use 2 old telephones and clip the speaker leads and run to balancing tansformers like a bogen wmt1a. Using just the digital phone paging you SHOULD be able to accomplish what you are doing without the relay. ie.

x100 Page zone 1-number

x101 Page zone 2-numer

all page just include both.

[This message has been edited by Coral Tech (edited September 08, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by Coral Tech (edited September 08, 2005).]

I was thinkimg the same thing as coral while reading your book. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

If your using a comdial system, you can come of the headset jack of a phone for the external page port(just need to program a button on the phone to make it a page port). You can do this with 2 phones and just put them in 2 different page zones. plus add them to the all call zone and you will be able to hit everything.

------------------
BIGDOG3c
[Linked Image from home.columbus.rr.com]

PARALLEL TECHNOLOGIES INC.

WWW.ABUGSEYEVIEW.COM

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Not to simplify this, but have you checked any of the gadgets that Mike Sandman has? Also, Falicom in New York (800-371-2929) deals a lot in telecom/paging applications.

It sounds like you might be looking for a VOX device that will detect audio and activate a relay, or vice-versa. Just a suggestion. Good luck with this one. I know what you are going through.

------------------
Ed
---------
How come there's always enough time to go back and fix it a second time?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Admin
Admin
Whats going to activate the relays to select which building. Can your system send TT to the page port? Why not use the Viking ZPI-4
Ed had a good idea check with Sandman

[This message has been edited by metelcom (edited September 08, 2005).]

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
OP Offline
I finally got a chance to respond. Thanks for your responses.

The system is a Comdial FXII. I can program the system so when someone dials a paging zone in the FXII, it also activates one or more of the contact closures on the system. I did this on a FXII connected to a PagePal or PagePac that required pins 2 and 5 of the input to be shorted before it would activate the amplifier when receiving audio on pins 3 and 4. I guess this was an old way for them to keep the amplifier from being energized the whole time. I want to do the same concept, but using some sort of device between the FXII and the amps. The reason is so I can have concurrent and specific zone paging in two different zones. I'm just up against the phone system only having one external paging port. The way I described seems like a good way to go, except nobody seems to make such a intermediary device.

As for the suggestion to tie it into the speaker of a phone, we had also thought of that, using a Viking M2W. When we originally came up with the M2W work-around, I figured why not put it on one of the phones in that zone. Later I remembered that doing so would amplify voice announce calls and all other calls (including ringing and calls using the speakerphone) to that station, in addition to the zone pages. I think going on the auxilliary port of a phone would also amplify all calls, not just paging. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. If I am right, that means I would have to have two dedicated phones specifically for the purpose of using for overhead zone paging. I'm not too keen on that idea, but if it's the only solution, I just might not have a choice.

------------------
[Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]
| Signal Communication Systems - Fresno, CA |

| Telephone Systems, Voicemail Syste... & Data Cabling - Central Valley, CA

If the Page Pac worked for you before why not use it again?

https://www.pagepac.com/mall/pagepac6.asp

And if that's not big enough they do make some bigger stuff as well as controllers that interface with the system the same way.

-Hal

[This message has been edited by hbiss (edited September 08, 2005).]

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
5, I think the latching relay on sandman's wizard's toolbox page might just be what you need. The diagram on zone control canhelp you wire it, just swap your relay contacts for the tone decoder and put a 24 volt power supply in line with the FXII relays.

Kerry

------------------
[Linked Image from commsmith.com]
CommSmith \"Forging telephone and data solutions.\"

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,623 Shoretel
189,512 CTX100 install
187,772 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 145 guests, and 353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024