I have reread this thread a few times, and YES, this has been one well-discussed topic for several weeks now, with input from ALL sides.

VoIP is in currently its infant stages. If any of you can recall cellular, beginning in the early to late 80's for most cities connected at present, it has evolved a long long way.

The 333 channel 800Mhz "cellular" system has long-ago progressed into the high frequency PCS phones we use today. Cellular required a large power supply to support its 3 watt tansmitter, battery powered phones had about 15 minutes talk time before you recharged them overnight, mobile phones required your automobile's electrical system to support them.

Today, we have PCS, low powered high-frequency portable long-range phones, and it is the current evolutionary point in personal communication.

For the past 25-30 years, we have all been guilty of throwing thousands of dollars at technology for its benefits, only to have it superceded, sometimes within mere months, by the next latest and greatest thing on the market.

Yes, VoIP will have a place in our culture.
Yes, VoIP will eventually be the infrastructure used to transport voice telephone calls.
Yes, computer guys will eventually be our phone guys.
No, it is not going to happen in the next 5 years.

I do feel for the folks that are currently shelling out thousands for NEW VoIP phone systems. Myself, I would never buy the first three grenerations of any new technology. Hell, I did not get a CD player until 1996.

it's all tip and ring