If you think you might want IP phones then you will need Cat5.

Well kinda. If you are going to have IP phones why would you need additional wiring? Unless of course you are installing another parallel network just for the phones. Then you have to think about more than just the wiring, like terminating on a patch panel and CAT5 jacks just like the data.

If you just punch down CAT5 on a 66 block the way us telecom guys do it, it's useless for data so why bother with CAT5?

Kjwiewall, show me some CAT5e plenum that is cheaper than CAT3. Plenum is all we use.

In the last couple of years I've run across brand new houses being wired with quad, I told the electrician that if the home owner got a second line it would be a party line.

There is a thread both here and over at a sparkie board about that. The sparkie thread went for 12 pages and we watched it here in our thread. It was real fun to see them spin and wiggle out of why they have no idea how it install voice and data wiring.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.