nova:
You seem like a very intelligent & conscientious person, who is just in a bind. I say this (and I seem to be repeating myself)---you keep answering your own questions. You KNOW what has to be done. Someone (preferrably a Vodavi technician) has to physically put a test set on those pairs of wires that are your C.O. lines---and listen and try to emulate what is happening. He/she may have to go into programming. This may take somewhere between an hour to two hours to do---MAYBE, just maybe---less. But to go on & on about getting "pointed in the right direction" is fruitless. The direction is---a good tech. For $100-$200---your problems could be over. Why go through the agony? It is a choice that your company is going to have to make. To quote from the movie "Good Will Hunting"----It's not your fault---no, really---it's not your fault ---no---it's not your fault. Really--it's not your fault....

A good test set will cost your company over $300.00. It will take you months --or more to use it corrrectly. Someone could teach you in a few days. What do they want you to do?

I just don't get it. I still don't know what you have for a system. Do you have a DHS? What is the model number? Is this a STS??
It's not your fault. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]