Originally posted by bullmastiff:
The whole thing started with buzzing on lines, then no dial tone. First thing I did was pull the "distribution line" (I call it) off one jack at a time on the 66 block, each time checking with my cordless phone. I got to one that, after pulling off, gave me clear DT on cordless. Thought my problems were done (knowing I'd have to look at that jack... later). Then found out the jack my DSL was on was dead. Then the rest of the story.
In your testing... Had you pulled the ADSL signal off and not punched it back down to that jack? (Obvious but I have to ask ya know.)... Or if you DID punch it back down, did you not get it re-terminated properly when putting it back? (Did you creat a NEW problem, different from your noisy/bad jack.)

Originally posted by bullmastiff:
One of you may have hit the nail on the head. I had an old punchdown tool. I'm inexperienced and hadn't slept much the night before, so I was using the wrong tip. I was using the notched tip you'd use to put wires into a female wall outlet do-hicky (for ethernet), not the one that surrounds the 66 block terminal point.
I know the other esteemed collegues here have mentioned it’s VERY rare for a 66-block to go bad... But I’m going to beg to differ since you’ve now mentioned you’ve been beating on that one with the OTHER DO-HICKY eek LOL… We’d call it a 110 blade just-so’s ya know. wink

Happy Birthday to you too Shawn and good luck.
:toast:

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)