I always sell my customers on the same layout as a minimum. Two voice, 2 data. I run 3 4 pair cables per drop. I split the voice cable into two jacks. That way it is all there and ready for me or the next guy and it just adds the cost of 1 voice jack per plate.

If I'm selling a phone system I have to be competitive. Every penny counts because the customer is looking for the lowest cost. So if I'm to provide the wiring and jacks for my system under the contract, no way am I going to quote any more than what is required for my system to operate. I'm not a wiring contractor and I don't give a RA about what may happen in the future. I'm only interested in selling my system and making it work at the lowest cost. Years ago it wasn't that way, but that's the way it is now. To do anything else only serves to give the customer ammunition to further nickel and dime and dicker about the cost and what is being done- or look elsewhere.

If I am asked to provide data wiring along with the voice wiring, the data wiring will almost always be under a separate contract because invariably the customer will have some price from his CG or local trunker that I can't compete with. I want that to have minimal impact on the system cost so the customer is free to decline that work as a separate item.

If a customer has his own ideas about what the wiring should be red flags go up. I advise him to contact a wiring contractor of his choice and call when it's completed. After I see what has been done I then decide whether or not I want to do the job.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.