I have a pet peeve and this affects all of us. Today's cable jobs always want a separate C5 data jack for voice use. This is supposed to future proof the customer "in case we go with a VoIP system later". IP systems are designed to share the PC data jack. Having dedicated jacks creates a dual network. This may offer some QOS and up time benefit but is it worth it?

Avaya dealers probably are saying "so what is the problem?", but aren't most of the systems the rest of us sell still using RJ11? When a 4P4C plug is inserted into an RJ45 jack, it bends and fatigues pins 1-2 & 7-8. I have also been on many service calls involving an RJ45 jack where the phone cord has been pulled tight and the plug has become ajar in the jack. Depending on the job and the customer, I have actually retrofitted 8P8C plugs on my line cords.

When I have the opportunity for input, I always encourage C3 and RJ11 for voice. If C5 cable is a must but the jacks aren't, I install RJ11s and satisfy IT by leaving a service loop for "future".

Is all this being decided by those same professionals who request RJ45 plugs or am I missing something?

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.