Hi folks, I was wondering about phone number portability, specifically:

There's a particular phone number that I'd like to have for the office. That number is owned by the LEC and is available, but is served out of a CO on the eastern shore of Maryland.

My office is near Baltimore. I use a CLEC for local phone service (dynamic voice/data). If I purchased the number from the LEC, they could forward calls to a local number for a per-call charge. My question - one that I suppose should be asked of the CLEC - is, Can I purchase the number from Verizon, then port it to CLEC as a local number for my office? On a higher level, I'd just like to know how number portability works.

When I moved offices last year from Landover, MD to my current location, the LEC stated that in order for me to keep my phone numbers we would incur steep per call long distance charges. The CLEC that I eventually signed with ported all of my numbers such that any calls that were local in the Landover, MD area are still local where I'm at near Baltimore. That is, if a customer was dialing locally before, they still are now.

I'm just not sure how this works and was hoping for some insight.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.