web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#478228 11/12/09 05:34 AM
OP Offline
Hi folks, I was wondering about phone number portability, specifically:

There's a particular phone number that I'd like to have for the office. That number is owned by the LEC and is available, but is served out of a CO on the eastern shore of Maryland.

My office is near Baltimore. I use a CLEC for local phone service (dynamic voice/data). If I purchased the number from the LEC, they could forward calls to a local number for a per-call charge. My question - one that I suppose should be asked of the CLEC - is, Can I purchase the number from Verizon, then port it to CLEC as a local number for my office? On a higher level, I'd just like to know how number portability works.

When I moved offices last year from Landover, MD to my current location, the LEC stated that in order for me to keep my phone numbers we would incur steep per call long distance charges. The CLEC that I eventually signed with ported all of my numbers such that any calls that were local in the Landover, MD area are still local where I'm at near Baltimore. That is, if a customer was dialing locally before, they still are now.

I'm just not sure how this works and was hoping for some insight.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#478229 11/12/09 06:14 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Steve:

Number portability isn't as simple as it sounds. Numbers are still tied to rate centers, so if you got a Baltimore number from Verizon, it retains the calling privileges as if it never moved. Even if your CLEC can deliver it to your premises in Landover (most can), they are still required by state tariffs to charge a mileage-based fee to do this. Regardless of how they deliver it to you, they cannot overstep the boundaries of the number's rate center.

If you approach your CLEC requesting that they provide this number to you as a foreign exchange (FX) number, it will make more sense to them. In a high-volume scenario, it makes more sense to pay the flat mileage fee than to pay toll rates on a per-call basis.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#478230 11/12/09 10:44 AM
OP Offline
Thanks Ed. When I found out that the number I was requesting was served out of a CO on the eastern shore, I planned on using one of my DID numbers anyway. I just figured it would be easier (and cheaper) as we already own the number. One thing I did do when we moved was keep all of my phone numbers (DID blocks, CO numbers, etc). It's come in handy on a few occasions already.

Still, I do find this question interesting, particularly with VoIP service providers, Google Voice and the like offering numbers that are way out of one's home area. I figured it was a complicated process and I'm sure the LECs don't want phone numbers all over the place. That, I think, would be a management nightmare.

#478231 11/12/09 01:31 PM
Get the number you want, and get it installed at some local premises within the area that the LEC controls.

Wait one month.

Then get a Vonage account and port the number to Vonage.

Take the Vonage router with you to the new location.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#478232 11/13/09 09:14 AM
OP Offline
I was wondering about porting the number to an IP provider Arthur. In my current case it's not a big deal to use one of the number we currently own, so I'll go that way.

#478233 11/13/09 03:41 PM
I've heard (although only here) that you have to be very careful when porting numbers to some IP service providers because you might not be able to get them back in the even that you are not satisfied or they go out of business.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#478234 11/13/09 06:43 PM
Telepacific has a product called SmartVoice that allows you to have a handful of Out of Rate Center numbers terminate on your PRI (right along with your DID numbers).

I just did a deal with a guy who had acquired several businesses that were similar to his, yet he wanted to keep the acquisition quiet and retain the previous owner's good will. One way to make that happen was to hang on to the acquired company's published numbers...almost all of which were non-local. Obviously there are several ways to do this. RCF would work of course, but the extra 11¢ per call (or whatever), PLUS the need to keep a hard number alive, turns out to be a surprisingly expensive solution.

I found Telepacific's plan to be very cost-effective.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
#478235 11/16/09 05:58 AM
OP Offline
Interesting Tim. When we moved offices last year I sure was glad that we were able to port all of our numbers to the new provider. We moved two buildings (Baltimore, MD and Landover, MD) into one new facility that's roughly between the two. Granted all of these numbers were in a 30 mile radius and still are, which I suppose makes them somewhat local to our new place. Many of our phone numbers have been around a long time so losing them was not a good option. When I estimated the cost to RCF these numbers, I about had a coronary. Fortunately I worked with a good broker who was able to work it out to port the numbers. We paid for their expertise and as a result had a smooth transition to our new building/provider (there's a lesson in there somewhere :-).

Ed, I've read that before on this board, and thought of what a nightmare that could be.

#478236 11/16/09 09:01 AM
If I purchased the number from the LEC...

I never knew that you could purchase or own a number. I always thought that as long as you paid the monthly fee you have it to use. When you no longer do it goes back into the pool and is given to someone else.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024