You may remember from my post about station block layout that I rescued a 1A2 KSU from work a while back. I got tired of it sort of leaning against the side of my desk with some 66 blocks on the floor beside it and decided that it was time that it went back on a wall where it belongs. I've taken a few pictures of what I've mounted so far and now I put it to you for comments.

At first, I thought I'd leave the backboard unpainted since the KSU came with a nice dark green backboard and I had the color-coded pre-fab models for the 66 blocks. However, since I've seen it all on the wall I think the unpainted 3/4" ply needs to be gray.

I plan to run the station cables out from below the station blocks and up the right side of the board into a chase that runs all the way to the attic in my house. The left-most block on the red backboard will be for the diode matrix made out of a 66B-50 block and clips from a 66M-50. It will be white instead of gray. I'm waiting for a yellow backboard to show up on eBay for the intercom, but in the meantime I think I'll use the lower right block on the blue backboard for that.

The space that all this is mounted in is under my foyer stairs in the basement. It's not a perfect space since the water heater, furnace, gas meter and main water shut-off all live under there, but the easy attic access makes it very appealing. Also, the block wall means no searching for studs to attach the backboard to. Unfortunately, I am pretty much limited to a 4'x6' wall area and I've already used 4'x4'.

The main ground point for the house is the main water pipe, so I'll probably ground to that as it is really convenient.

After I get the cabling in here nailed down (not literally) I've got to find myself some 66E3-25's to terminate in each room of the house. I never expected my roommates to actually want key phones! :rolleyes:

The 584C panel was made by Stromberg-Carlson around 1980-1981. It's wired a little different than the 584C panel I have by ITT. I opted to use the S-C 584C instead of the ITT one only because the S-C was steel and looked more solid. Pin 18 of slot 13 is hard wired to B Batt and pin 18 on all the other slots is left unconnected. There are some other peculiarities that I haven't quite nailed down as well. So even though there are 3 intercom cards in the KSU, I can only use one. There are 10 400E line cards, but I'm only using 4 since that is all the dial tone I can provide from my Asterisk server. The Melco intercom is from 1979, making it the oldest piece in the system (except for the stations, the oldest is dated 11-69). The power supply is by Elgin.

I think that pretty much covers it. If you've read this far congratulations. Go get something to drink. :toast: