Greetings to all!

First a little background:

I am the IT Director for a small municipality and I've been in the IT industry for about 20 years. I've had a fascination with phones since I was about 10 when I used to play around with the comkey system at the newspaper office my dad worked for. For the last 6 years or so I have been working with the Asterisk open source VoIP phone system and just completed a 9-month project to transition the city phone system from an old partner II system to an Asterisk VoIP system. In the last two years I have started searching for old phone equipment to play with and hook up to the VoIP system I have at home.

Now to the question:

I've seen the 1A2 phones listed on ebay and I've been temped to get one in working condition. My question is this: When you push a line button on the phone, does it just open the corresponding pair on the line cable or is it dependent on the module(s) in the switch to connect it to the line? In other words: If I wired an old working 1A2 to three station ports (FXS ports) on the back of my VoIP switch, would the phone work as intended and pickup the line that I selected?

I hope I didn't make it too confusing.

There isn't any practical purpose to what I'm doing other than experimenting with the open station ports on my VoIP switch.

Thanks,

--
Michael Sheldon