web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Greetings to all!

First a little background:

I am the IT Director for a small municipality and I've been in the IT industry for about 20 years. I've had a fascination with phones since I was about 10 when I used to play around with the comkey system at the newspaper office my dad worked for. For the last 6 years or so I have been working with the Asterisk open source VoIP phone system and just completed a 9-month project to transition the city phone system from an old partner II system to an Asterisk VoIP system. In the last two years I have started searching for old phone equipment to play with and hook up to the VoIP system I have at home.

Now to the question:

I've seen the 1A2 phones listed on ebay and I've been temped to get one in working condition. My question is this: When you push a line button on the phone, does it just open the corresponding pair on the line cable or is it dependent on the module(s) in the switch to connect it to the line? In other words: If I wired an old working 1A2 to three station ports (FXS ports) on the back of my VoIP switch, would the phone work as intended and pickup the line that I selected?

I hope I didn't make it too confusing.

There isn't any practical purpose to what I'm doing other than experimenting with the open station ports on my VoIP switch.

Thanks,

--
Michael Sheldon

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Online Content
You can access the lines simply by putting the tip and ring of each FXS port on the tip and ring of the line buttons. Assuming this has the current to ring the bells you'd have to add two bells or buzzers to the tip and ring of the other two lines as the bell in the phone won't ring on all three lines without a KSU and related equipment. You also wouldn't have hold or lamps, so why bother. Get yourself a shoebox and do it right.

Retired phone dude
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Do a search for 'shoebox' in this category, it's a small 1A2 KSU that is 50% (?) larger than a shoebox and about the same shape. There are actually at least 2 systems that fit in the category, ITT601 and WE551. There are also several posts that will direct you to 'practices' (manuals) for them, as well as for the many permutations of 1A2 telephones. Have fun, 1A2 is a ball to use and can do many things that are hard-to-impossible to do with 'modern' eletronic phone systems, VOIP or otherwise!

And welcome to the forum! John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
C*NET, the Collectors\' Network

Click on the above to see what the rest of us old telephone collectors are doing with Asterisk and legacy equipment.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

OP Offline
Arthur,

This is great. After clicking on the link and brwsing around for a bit, I signed up for the list, registerd, and reserved an office code. I don't have any legacy equipment currently, although I may end up with the retired partner system from work pretty soon.

Can't wait to get my switch hooked up to the network.

Thanks for the link.

--
Michael Sheldon

Michael, welcome to both the Sundance Forum and to C*NET, "The trailing edge of telecommunications" (That was my little contribution to the website)

You don't need a big old clunker, like my 701 PBX -- just a 1A2 sytem will be acceptable, or indeed any old key system.

I can be reached on C*NET 749-0100 or PSTN 631-749-0100 for a chat anytime.

What office code did you reserve?

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

OP Offline
Arthur,

I reserved 343 which was as close as I could get to the 303 area code that was originally assigned to Colorado.

It amazes me that C*NET has basically created a private global telecommunications network. I'm not going to have time to sit down and read the docs to hook my switch into the system until Sunday, but I'll try and give you a ring as soon as I connect.

--
Michael Sheldon

Moderated by  ChrisRR, EV607797, Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,113 Shoretel
187,718 CTX100 install
186,811 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 7
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (justbill, Touch Tone Tommy), 73 guests, and 418 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024