Mr. Hbiss,

Apology accepted.

Kindly iterate which questions or just how you see their presentation as indicating to you that I am an idiot (or worse an electrician). I, perhaps naievly, believe that the only stupid question is the one which you do not ask.

I service several different manufacturers' products and if I get stumped, in the interest of the customer I ask for help directly.

-------------------------------------------------

Others interested,

Thanks for your help.

As far as the system in question is concerned: The inability to raise CO dt from any extension was caused by "Auto Line Select" programming, which the customer wanted to be intercom dt for all stations. My error was in not knowing that for some unknown reason one must assign lines as well as the intercom link in "Auto line select".

As far as the backplane is concerned: replacing it appears to have solved the "module status lamp is dark, flashing, solid in turn" problem. This occured with the CA24 completely out of the picture. I finally replaced the 5-slot carrier with a brand new fancy looking Avaya unit after module #1 began flashing and the MLS18D at ext.10 began cutting in and out during programming (this with a new module #1 and new processor card). After changing out the flashing stopped and I was able to get on with programming (from the beginning again)and finish the repair.

So, now you have heard of a situation in which the backplane was somehow the source of the dysfunction.

As far as replacing this unit with an ACS: The customer is near to retirement and does not want to have to replace his system.

Thanks for your help,

JE