web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Client is an older attorney who must have purchased this phone system when he graduated law school. He's attached to it (actually, he's attached to his money and doesn't want to buy anything new).

Problem: Frequent dropped calls. TelCo has been on site to "test", and of course they found no problems. They tell the client it must be their phone system, but the tech didn't have a laptop, so he couldn't access it ( :confused: )

My idea, to determine whether the system or the TelCo is dropping the calls is to replace (hard-wire to the C.O. lines) one of the extensions with an ATT 4-line analog phone (as found at Office Depot, etc).

Question is: If the receptionist answers a call and places on hold (Partner system phone), will the person picking up the call on the 4-line analog phone be able to break the hold? It's a small office and they just yell back/forth...

:shrug:

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
No, picking up a phone ahead of the system will not release the hold on the ACS

OP Offline
Will the user be able to speak with the caller and will the system eventually disconnect/drop the hold after caller hangs up?

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Best thing to do with intermittent problem is replace the processor and see if it continues. Give it a week and tell them if it keeps doing it you will put the old one back in and just charge for the time, or if it doesn't continue you bill them for the repair or the new processor.

OP Offline
Been there/done that. I'm not spending one minute on a creaky old system that the client is attempting to hold together with rubber bands and chewing gum. It never works out good for me.

All I'm attempting to do is narrow down the problem: Phone lines? Call ATT. System? Here's a proposal for something new.

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Yeah there's a point you need to draw that line, but you have to be careful because if you just sell them something new and the problem persists then arguing with the telco and further going after the problem is going to be your problem and make you look bad.

OP Offline
Exactly. That's why I'm attempting to determine where the fault is before I make any recommendations as to new equipment. If the (temporary) 4-line phone doesn't drop calls, then we know the problem is with the system. If the 4-line phone behaves the same (drops calls), then we know the problem is with ATT.

Question: Will this proposed set-up function?

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Not how you're proposing no. If you wanted to do it that way you'd need to install the 4 line phones at every phone location, or get a base station with cordlesses or something if it's a smaller place would be my suggestion if you're not going to switch the processor.

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Just wondering - Have you checked the loop current? If it's below 18ma, I think the Partner will drop the call. At least that's what the old Merlin did.

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

OP Offline
Originally posted by dtcd21:
Not how you're proposing no. If you wanted to do it that way you'd need to install the 4 line phones at every phone location, or get a base station with cordlesses or something if it's a smaller place would be my suggestion if you're not going to switch the processor.
OMG. :bang: I'm doing ONE phone as a TEST. If it works and solves the issue, I'll replace with a new phone at each location, and send the Partner to the phone museum.

D. Ocean
Miami, FL
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024