web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Recently installed IP office 500V2 that's using an analog station port for external page. The old switch was a Meridian MICS. The old connection apparently worked as is. When I connect the IP output it completely mutes the music without audio from the page. Tried inserting a WMT 1A in series, but it just blends in behind the music without muting. I think I need to insert a 1 watt preamp with the WMT. There is another module on the TOA with a RCA connector but it doesn't mute the music either with the WMT. It seems TOA doesn't have any tech support sites. Anyone have IP/TOA 900 experience? Thanks for any help!

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-Avaya
Moderator-Avaya
I would recommend using a UPAM .

If you need one let me know. We have several new still in the box.

Avaya SMB Authorized Business Partner. ACIS/APSS
ESI Certified Reseller/Installer
www.regal-comm.com
Mike is correct HOWEVER along with the UPAM you have to know the TOA 900. What input modules are you using?

1. Connect the Telephone Page output (from the UPAM)to a B-41S(Balanced Line Input with Mute-Send) module.
2. Connect the Music Source to a T-12S (Unbalanced
Line Input with Music-On-Hold Output) module's
input.
3. Connect the T-12S module's output to the telephone system's Music-On-Hold input.
4. Adjust the output signal level with the T-12S front panel Output Gain control.
Since mute-type modules connect to both Mute Bus #1 and #2 by default, no jumper configuration is required.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
I believe the Module for paging was a L-41 with volume adjusted at max. The spare music module was an X 11. I was hoping a 1 watt preamp would cure it. I'll need to make another visit equipped with a UPAM. Thankx for your quick replies.

Sounds like background noise from the station port of the IPO is muting the L-41. There is a sensitivity control- with no page adjust it so the BGM un-mutes. Try that.

Other than that I would go with what we said above.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
Possibility, possibility, the music is cranked a bit and does clip periodically. THanks

Rather than looking at the UPAM look at the UTI-1 from Bogen. It is easier to to install provides more options at less than half the price.
Good luck

the music is cranked a bit and does clip periodically

I think you have it backwards. The music should be heard until there is a page at which point the music will duck (be muted). When the page is finished the music returns. That is the function of the L-41. The sensitivity control adjusts the point at which the music will duck according to the level at the page input. It should be adjusted so that a normal page just trips it and causes the music to duck. I've found many times that the background noise alone on a paging port will trip the ducking if the sensitivity is set too high.

If the music level is too high and it clips that is another issue. Turn it down.

I ran into a similar problem once with another brand of amplifier and an in-store message player. As soon as I plugged the output (no audio present) from the message player into the input on the amplifier the music would duck. What I found was causing the problem was not noise from the player but a large DC voltage on it's output, something like 5 volts (obviously no output cap). On top of that the input on the amplifier was DC coupled (no input cap there either) so the 5 volts DC was treated like a 5 volt audio signal and continuously tripped the ducking. A .1uF cap in the audio line solved the problem though I couldn't believe that the amplifier and the message player manufacturers were so damn cheap that they didn't put caps on the inputs and output like has always been done since the early days of radio.

So this is also something you may want to check since that station port should have battery voltage on it.

-Hal

OP Offline
Thanks For the tip MemphisRibs, it is less expensive.
Thanks again HBiss, I'll scrounge up a .1uF cap and give that a shot. Hopefully I get the cap in the right place the first time, and don't short anything out. I should be going back out there today.

OP Offline
Tried the capacitor, it did work with ducking, however, a "ground hum" came with it. Also, Music input was indeed too high. Guess it's equipment interface time. Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,280
Posts638,742
Members49,764
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,336 Shoretel
188,180 CTX100 install
187,022 1a2 system
Newest Members
Nadisale, andreww, gohunt, Darrick, telecopippo
49,764 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 15
jc2it 4
dexman 4
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (newtecky, nortelvoip), 112 guests, and 100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024