web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
OP Offline
BACKGROUND:
I am migrating away from our Mitel SX-200 EL/ML PBX. I want to make the transition to the new PBX as smooth and quiet as possible.

CURRENT:
PSTN--T1-OLD MITEL

THE PLAN:
PSTN--PRI--NEW PBX--T1--OLD MITEL

-Then migrate off 1 extension at a time. (Setup forwarding on the old Mitel to the new PBX as I convert.)
------
ISSUE:
I'm getting different answers to the same question and wanted some guru opinions.
(My Mitel guys are angry because I'm moving away from their product... They wont answer any of my questions - and they wonder why I'm leaving.)

INFO:
My current connection to my PBX is a T1.
VIA THE CARD:
T1 DS1 Trunk Card 9109-021-001-NA

LINK 01 (2x T1 DS1)
Bay 02 Slot 06
Bay 03 Slot 06
Line Coding = B8ZS
Framing = D4
(Can be changed to ESF)

LINK 02 (1x T1 DS1)
Bay 04 Slot 06
Line Coding = AMI&ZCS
(Can be AMI or B8ZS)
Framing = D4
(Can be changed to ESF)

QUESTIONS:
What is my ISDN based signaling protocol? Or maybe a menu where I can find it? (I.E. National ISDN 2, Nortel DMS100, Q.SIG?)

What kind of 'connection' are attached to these 'T1 lines from XO'? Are they fiber up to the Demarc and then turned into copper? Or are they fiber all the way up to the card. (9109-021-001-NA)

How can I find out how many outbound circuits we use on average?

Why do you think we are using different framing and coding?

Does the system support ‘auto detect’ for ISDN based signaling protocol?

Will need a crossover cable to attach my new PBX? (Or a special cable/pin outs?)

Thanks everyone in advance!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

At first, I do understand Mitel guys. In my opinion, Mitel is one of the best PBXs on the market. It is menu-driven, and you can program almost everything without looking in the book. If you compare it to NEC 2000 or Toshiba DK424, Mitel is piece of cake.

My feeling is that if you feel the need to convince your client to get rid of it, then something is wrong. Is it possible that you might not know what you are doing with the system? This is not my business, but I felt that I should ask.

(Original text continues from here):

Yes whatever comes to PRI ISDN Mitel is a tough one. But ICP rel.3.0 solves all conversions for DIDs.

Now I will try answer your questions.
Your PRI ISDN protokol is a ESF, B8ZS,N2or any other like, DMS100, 5ESS or 4ESS depends on provider.

To find out how many outbound channels your customer using in average I will suggest to have CAS.

Smart jack is considered as a last Mile Loop an as much as I,ve seen always is a copper.

Different Framing and coding used because PRI can not be channelise, no E&M or TIE connection and no Wink,Delay or Immediate start. It is always CCS. And the most convinien future is a DID instead of ANY or DNIS.

If I would do migration I will try, if its possible, to install new system next to my old MDF,punch down all my 25 pairs to new MDF and then after ours will do cutover. Befor that I will connect all T1s back to back and test them for proper operation.

What is "Auto Detect"?

Last question. What kind a new PBX are you talking about?

[Edited first paragraph for spelling/grammar that is visible in preview pane.]

OP Offline
Thank for your quick response.

I'm glad Mitel has treated you well in regards to quality and service. I had best come back and say Mitel hasn't been the worst PBX or key system I've worked with. I understand they are a business and helping me with my goals to move away from them isn't always in their best interest. (I probley shouldn't expect them to help.)

(Moving on)

I'm not really interested in any other PBX - unless it is comparable to a Trixbox/Asterisk/Video system does for ~$2,000. (~$200 for IP Phones.)
Here is how Asterisk has spoiled me:
-Record All calls (mp3, ogg, wav, gsm)
-MeetMe (Secritary GUI to forward or tear down calls.)
-Bluetooth Proximity Call Forward activation/deactivation.
-SugarCRM (Task Management GUI for Help Desk calls.)
-Basic Telephony features Caller ID, Call Waiting, Conferencing, etc.
https://www.asterisk.org/support/features
-Audio Dictation of Email/weather/sports/news. https://nerdvittles.com/index.php?p=135
-Free/Cheap Soft phone/Video Enabled. (H.264 Video). https://www.xten.com/index.php?menu=download
- -Background music and overhead paging system
https://var.abptech.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1842/.f?sc=2&category=2098

Does anyone know how I can enable CAS in Mitel SX-200 EL/ML? Perhaps someone can direct me to a manual? Or a Firmware Version I can give?

Vad60: The migration plan you suggested sounds great, but I'm converting Digital Mitel phones over to VoIP. I will be using X-lite for most installs which means the PCs Network card will be used to carry my new traffic. In my case I don't think I can use that migration plan.

-For my migration I plan on using Asterisk/Trixbox as a man in the middle.
-The Dial-plan will forward all incoming and outgoing calls appropriately.
-I will provide clocking services to my Mitel as well as the proper coding and framing. Which I believe I can do successfully with the data above.
(Warn me if I'm missing something :-)
-My current plan: When I'm ready with a computer or Hard phone I will forward the Extension off my Mitel and direct it to the Asterisk. (There it will be forwarded to the network). I will change the dial plan on the Asterisk to forward calls for that extension to go the SIP device. (Or pass it on the PSTN).
(I'm open to suggestions if anyone can advise a better way.)

Auto Detect is a feature in Asterisk. It can detect which 'ISDN Protocol' and sync appropriately. I don't think my Mitel support this kind of feature. And I don't know if I trust 'auto'. For now I’ve manually specified my config. (span=1,1,0,D4,b8zs & Q.Sig)

So what does everyone think? I am open to suggestions.

Unless your Mitel has a PRI card and Q-sig option enabled and link license, the only way to tie the 2 systems together would be T1 E&M Tie trunks. The card you listed does CAS. It appears that you have 3 T-1 circuits if fully populated would mean 72 trunks. Don't know if 1 PRI will be enough. Yes you will need a T-1 crossover.

OP Offline
(More info: The Mitel does not have a PRI card. Only the T1 card mentioned. Thanks for pointing it out.)

Please forgive my arrogance: Can you tell me more about the differences between a PRI and a T-1 Circuit? I'm confused because it sounds like they are different yet they both use copper so maybe… They are the same but use different signaling? Or different demark equipment? (Google gave me a lot of results that didn’t have to do with Telco info).

If they are in-fact the same thing, just different signaling, can I unplug the connection from my Mitel and plug it into my Asterisk server (provided I have the same framing and coding)?
PSTN----2 Port PRI card---Asterisk---2 Port PRI card----Mitel
(https://www.voipsupply.com/product_info.php?products_id=1078)

If they aren’t the same thing what is the difference and what PCI card would I have to buy to accomplish a ‘man-in-the-middle’ Ear and Mouth Trunk?
PSTN----4 Port PRI card---Asterisk---4 Port ??? card----Mitel

(I already have a Sangoma A104D card.)

Johnp meant that T1 has to be set in form 15 with E & M emulation. To set up PRI in Mitel ML/EL is a pain in the neck. You have to asign each and every PRI card as a separate ISDN Node.
I tryied to explane you what is the difference between T1 and T1 PRI. Righ now almost nobody uses T1 D4 except maybe if this is PTP or back to Back connection, which you probably would have to do to connect to your Asterisk.
Yes you are right there is no Autodetect on PBXs.
So you are trying to move all your traffic to VOIP and Asterisk is your gatway between Mitel and Host. Good luck. If this is privet IP Network thats OK otherwise you might bring lots of problems to yourself.

Brief semi-hijack:

Originally posted by WalkerBoh:
Can you tell me more about the differences between a PRI and a T-1 Circuit? I'm confused because it sounds like they are different yet they both use copper so maybe… They are the same but use different signaling? Or different demark equipment?
WalkerBoh,
In keeping my response in simple terms, here's my explanation of the difference between a "T1" and a "PRI":

A PRI [Primary Rate Interface] is simply a switched service ISDN protocol delivered over a T1 circuit.

If someone were to say “I want to order a PRI to location X.”, what is being requested is a connection to a trunk side module capable of ISDN protocol to a Telco switch delivered to location X via a DS1 rate (T1) circuit.

Now if that same someone were to say “I want to order a T1 to that SAME location X.” That wouldn’t be enough info. A T1 from where to where? A T1 for what? By just asking for a T1, nothing is understood or implied about where or what the circuit would be used for.

1. A T1 can be used to truck data at the rate of 1.544 Mbps from one location to another.

2. In using channel bank systems and appropriate DS0-level cards (dual-sp-cu, fxs, fxo, 2T0, 4T0, etc.), a T1 can be used to truck up to 24 separate and distinct DS0 signals (analog data, analog voice, or digital data service) from one location to another. When voice channels are applied in this format with channel banks, this is commonly referred to as a "Channelized T1."

3. A T1 can be used to connect one location to an ISP Internet Edge device to connect a customer to the World Wide Web.

4. A "point-to-point" T1 can be used use for voice and/or data depending on the equipment you have at each end. Your provider is simply providing the "pipe" and it is up to you what it is used for.

In other words:

A T1 is simply a multi-use pipe, and the features..or lack thereof..directly depend on where the circuit is going and how it's being terminated at either end of it's path.

A PRI is a protocol that uses the 24th channel [D-Channel] for signalling and control of what the other 23 channels [B-Channels] are used for. And because this protocol is being delivered via a T1 circuit, it is referred to as a T1-PRI, or simply "PRI".

There are a lot more technical details dealing with ISDN Lines and Trunks (BRIs/PRIs respectively) National ISDN vs Custom ISDN, FAS vs NFAS, etc., but you've got the basic idea.

I hope that my explanation was able to assist your understanding the difference between the terms T1 and PRI. If not, please feel free to open a new topic of discussion over in our T1s, CSUs, and DSUs forum.

[My apoligies for the "semi-hijack", please continue the ongoing discussion..]

welcome

OP Offline
5Etek-mike,
Thanks you very much for clearing that up. You confirmed what I already thought, I've been confused a lot by my telco. I'll make sure to find another tech for confirmation.

(Moving on)

Here are some of my notes. Feel free to double check and add suggestions:

MIGRATION:

STEP 1)
Contact Telco and move over one of the 'last mile' smart jacks from Mitel to Asterisk PRI.
-Configured Asterisk interface
span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs
span=2,1,0,esf,b8zs
bchan=1-23
dchan=24
bchan=25-47
dchan=48
switchtype=national
-Coordinate/Troubleshoot connection with Telco.
-Work out Red Alarms
-Telco supports Yellow Alarms

STEP 2) Make a T-1 Crossover Cable
1 — 4
2 — 5
4 — 1
5 — 2
(Someone verify the pin-outs for me)

STEP 3)
Enable E&M Emulation on one of my Mitel PBX trunks/T1.
-Connect Crossover to Asterisk.
-Make sure Asterisk is passing proper Coding and Framing.
-Do I need to providing time? Or is that only with PRI?
Clock mode = Master
span=3,1,0,sf,b8zs
span=4,1,0,sf,ami
switchtype=qsig (Might not be needed)
-Troubleshoot line as needed with Asterisk/Sangoma IRC channel and you guys. :-)

STEP 4)
As lines work Repeat 1-3 for another trunk.
-Two PRI interfaces from Telco to Asterisk.
-Two Mitel Crossover connections.
-Checking all the while for excessive busy signals.

STEP 5)
Setup a Basic forwarding dial plan(s)
-Asterisk forwards incoming PSTN calls to Mitel PBX. For every DID we have.
-Asterisk forwards all outgoing PSTN calls to Telco. For every DID we have.
-Add, strip, or forward 9-to-dial-out
-Troubleshoot Mitel/Asterisk forwarding as necessary.
(Note: All phones still on Mitel)

STEP 6)
VoIP Dail Plan.
-Extension 1234: Converts to VoIP.
-Redirect Asterisk incoming DID PSTN requests for that number to network phone.
-Redirect Mitel calls of 1234 to forward to pseudo 9-4321 (Which is directed outbound to Asterisk. I’ve done this for Cellphone forwarding before.)
-Asterisk picks up 4321 calls (received from Mitel) and directs it to Network Phone.
-Asterisk already programmed to forward 1234’s calls to Mitel via last script
-Asterisk already passes 1234 outbound if 9 is added.
-Notify users that they will receive new Voice Mail box.

More Questions Regarding this Migration:
-Do I need to provide timing to the Mitel?
-How do I setup E&M emulation? (Form 15 doesn’t appear to be the right screen.)
-Do I really need to setup E&M emulation if I’m just going to pretend to be the PSTN (as far as my Mitel is concerned).

Below is a list of my Mitel menu options:
CDE FORMS
01 = SYSTEM CONFIGURATION
02 = FEATURE ACCESS CODES
03 = COS DEFINE
04 = SYSTEM OPTIONS/SYSTEM TIMERS
05 = TENANT INTERCONNECTION TABLE
06 = TENANT NIGHT SWITCHING CONTROL
07 = CONSOLE ASSIGNMENTS
08 = ATTENDANT LDN ASSIGNMENTS
09 = DESKTOP DEVICE ASSIGNMENTS
10 = PICKUP GROUPS
11 = DATA CIRCUIT DESCRIPTOR
12 = DATA ASSIGNMENT
13 = TRUNK CIRCUIT DESCRIPTORS
14 = NON-DIAL-IN TRUNKS
15 = DIAL-IN TRUNKS
16 = TRUNK GROUPS
17 = HUNT GROUPS
18 = MISCELLANEOUS SYSTEM PORTS
19 = CALL REROUTING TABLE
20 = ARS: COR GROUP DEFINITION
21 = ARS: DAY ZONE DEFINITION
22 = ARS: MODIFIED DIGIT TABLE
23 = ARS: ROUTE DEFINITION
24 = ARS: ROUTE LISTS
25 = ARS: ROUTE PLANS
26 = ARS: DIGIT STRINGS
27 = ARS: MAXIMUM DIALED DIGITS
28 = FORM ACCESS RESTRICTION DEF
21 = ARS: DAY ZONE DEFINITION
22 = ARS: MODIFIED DIGIT TABLE
23 = ARS: ROUTE DEFINITION
24 = ARS: ROUTE LISTS
25 = ARS: ROUTE PLANS
26 = ARS: DIGIT STRINGS
27 = ARS: MAXIMUM DIALED DIGITS
28 = FORM ACCESS RESTRICTION DEF
29 = DTE PROFILE
30 = DEVICE INTERCONNECTION TABLE
31 = SYSTEM ABBREVIATED DIAL ENTRY
32 = CDE DATA PRINT
33 = ACCOUNT CODE ENTRY
34 = DIRECTED IO
35 = GLOBAL FIND ACCESS CODE
36 = MODEM ASSIGNMENTS
37 = GUEST RM SUPERSET KEYS TEMPLATE
38 = ACD KEYS TEMPLATE
39 = ACD AGENT GROUPS
40 = ACD SUPERVISORS
41 = ACD PATHS
42 = T1 LINK DESCRIPTORS
43 = T1 LINK ASSIGNMENTS
44 = NETWORK SYNCHRONIZATION
45 = BRI TRUNKS ASSIGNMENTS
46 = KEY SYSTEM TOLL CONTROL
47 = IP AND DHCP PARAMETERS
48 = IP NODES

Form 15 is a Dial - in - Trunk. E$M emulation supposed to match numbering plan meaning that provider must send you number of digits that the same as your extensions numbers or at least last one has to match last digit in your extensions numbering plan. In Form 13 set up Discriptor for T1 E$M and do apropriate set up.

If the T1 is currently connected to your Mitel SX200 Digital, connecting it to your Asterisk will not make it a PRI.
Why would you configure the input to your Asterisk as a PRI?

www.ResaleSystems.com 24 x 7 Mitel Parts and Free Tech Support
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,707 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
2 members (Toner, justbill), 125 guests, and 233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024