web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
Hi all,

I am looking for some input on using a computer to capture the SMDR data ie: wake up calls, outgoing calls etc. and have it displayed on the computer screen in notepad, wordpad, or Hyperterminal to be saved on a daily or weekly basis in a text file. I know this can be done, I just need some direction as to what I need to set it up.

the current set up is:

Mitel SX 200
Superconsole 1000
innForm-XL
and a dead dot matrix printer!

Thanks,

Chris

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
I believe you'll find the computer and software is going to cost you more than an OKI 182 Turbo printer.

Xcel spreadsheet would probably be an appropriate software, if you want to create your own program. (This would be accompanied by a 'glutton for punishment' add-on. smile ) Oh, and the information needed to 'cost' long distance calls. It varies by carrier, time of day, destination, and phase of the moon(Just kidding about that one smile ). Unless you have a flat rate LD service, like anywhere in the U.S. for 4 cents/minute. And remember that Canada and Mexico are generally NOT flate rate, nor are any other countries.

And of course a computer with a serial port/keyboard/mouse and monitor. Data speed is probably 1200-8-1-none.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
If all you want to do is replace a dead printer to receive the output of the InForm XL, the simplest thing would be to dig an old PC out of mothballs and use a terminal program like Hyperterminal or Procomm to capture the data to a text file.

Assuming the InnForm connected to your printer using the serial port, you'll need a null-modem adapter and probably a DB-25 > DB-9 adapter to connect the existing printer cable to the serial port of the PC. Configure the terminal program to match the settings of the old printer (like Lightninghorse said, it's probably 1200-N-8-1). Test the connection by powering the InnForm off and back on. That will send out several lines of ASCII data. If it's readable, just start the capture and walk away.

The InnForm will continue to rate the calls and as long as the PC doesn't restart or shut down before you save the capture, the PC will log everything the InnForm would normally send to the printer. You can periodically save the text file and do whatever you want with the data.

Harry at Telecom Equipment & Consulting
Specializing in Mitel systems for the Hotel/Motel industry
www.TECHarry.com
OP Offline
Thanks TECHarry,

thats exactly what i was looking for. i will give you all an update when i am able to get back to the property to do this.

Thanks again,

I'm of the opinion, that they should buy a printer. If you do a good search you will find one at a reasonable price.

Adding a pc would just make it a CF.

OP Offline
I can't seem to get it to work correctly....my InnForm XL just reads "fix printer"? any suggestions

The INN-FORM is not 'seeing' the computer. Try a FULL Null-Modem adapter and check your flow control. The INN-FORM does honor it and expects it. What comm program are you using?

That said, you are STILL trying to 'milk a cow with a monkey wrench'. A new printer is STILL the wise and reasonable choice. If your customer cannot cope with a dot matrix printer, what makes you think they'll be able to successfully run a SAVE function daily/weekly? And will they have any idea how to access the saved files 2 weeks after you show them how?

Wait a minute, "fix Printer"? Isn't that the same problem you had to start with? Have you checked the interconnecting cable? Did the customer 're-arrange' the front desk? Or do a thorough cleaning? It's time to do a little thoughtful troubleshooting! And get new 1488 and 1489 IC's into the INN-FORM to eliminate the INN-FORM as the problem. Check your favorite electronics store or call DIGI-KEY for the IC's. They are REALLY cheap, less than $1 each. And they plug in. Just take your time. Change 1 at a time and power down the INN-FORM 1st.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
I would make sure that if I am connecting to the printer port on the Inn-Form, that I'm not trying the parallell port.

John, ditto the computer! Been there, done that! smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,097 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024