Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Torvik Offline OP
OP Offline
So tonight I was trying to figure out how to use our paging system for the boss when I stumbled across the "Night 1" and "Night 2" features of our Superconsole 1000. Pretty sweet stuff. Problem is, the recording for Night1 mentions a GM's name that I've never even heard of. (That's how long it's been since these features have been used.)

How does someone go about re-recording the messages on the phone system? Night1 as well as "Your call is important to us..."

Thanks a bunch!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

what kind of system do you have?

Get back to us with the version of Mitel you have and we can be more specific.

Basically, though, the 'Night1' and 'Night2' functions of the Mitel are just redirecting calls from the normal 'Day' destination. Apparently 'Night1' is sending the calls to a destination that auto-answers and plays a recording. On more recent Mitels, this could be an internal port or on any version it could be an external device, which is the most common. Recording a new prompt would be a function of the answering port or device, so first you have to know where the calls are going. Once you know that, the documentation on that device will guide you on how to change recordings.

To make matters more complicated, it's possible that the 'Night1' device is able to give the caller options to route their call. If that's the case, changing the voice menu won't change the underlying routing menu so be careful there.

As for the "Your call is important to us...": That's probably a recording on an external MOH (Message On Hold) device. You need to locate the manual for your specific device and follow those instructions.

Kudos for taking on added responsibilities but don't get yourself in too far with trying to change any programming on the system. The smartest thing you could do would be to convince the boss to hook you up with the Mitel vendor that supports your system. An experienced tech will teach you how to administer the user-programmable features of your system properly and suggest ways to customize your system to your specific needs.

Good luck,

Harry at Telecom Equipment & Consulting
Specializing in Mitel systems for the Hotel/Motel industry
www.TECHarry.com
Torvik Offline OP
OP Offline
Ahhh. That makes sense. So I guess there's another piece of machinery out there that plays the recordings. Gotcha.

I can't really think of any other programming that we would benefit from changing phone-wise, so I think we're set. Are there any other cool functions that I might not know about that would be useful? I'm in a hotel setting here, and things seem pretty straight forward. (I'm not sure how to find out what kind of system I have or the version number...)

Okay, first thing, press "function." one of the softkeys should say "version" or something like that. I want to say that F0 (lower right) will come up with that. Press it and write down what it says, and then tell us.

That will let us know what the system is. Then we can better help because we will know which of several systems your Superconsole 1000 is connected to.

"Cool Features" that you might want to get enabled include "Abbreviated Dialing." With this enabled and set up (a tech would need to enable it for you, if it's not already), you can dial a short code to transfer a call somewhere.

For example, if you have offsite reservations, you might want a code you can dial(I use *#1 to make it memorable and yet not likely to be hit by accident), then hit "release" on the console, and the call goes away. Saves you remembering that Reservations is 18005550344 (or is it 1-888?).

You might also want "Automatic Attendant Overflow" which makes the calls go to the Night One position (probably a voicemail) when the call isn't answered at the console.

You might want a TAFAS code which lets you answer calls from another phone (you're in the back room when the console rings: Grab that phone and hit *0 or something like that and BOOM! you've got the call as if you were at the console!)

Another "Cool" feature is "Maid in Room." (Requires interface to your Property Management Software). When the housekeeper goes into the room, she dials, say #51, and the PMS status changes from "Vacant Dirty" to "Maid in Room." If she's called away, she punches, say, #52, and the status changes to "V/D." When she's done, she dials #53 for "Ready to Inspect." When the Inspector/Inspectress goes through, they dial #54, and the room is "Vacant Clean."

You can be up-to-the-minute on room status without having to have the housekeeper run up to front desk with a list of clean rooms.

Let me second what TECHarry said: Get in touch with your vendor. You might be able to arrange a visit at little or no cost to survey your system and advise you on what you may be able to do with it.

-- Adding on... The Latest Greatest Mitels even have a super-cool feature called "Twinning." You get a guest's cell number at check in, and "twin" it to his room phone. If someone calls him through the hotel, he gets the call on his cell, and he can switch between the cell phone or the room phone at will.

Torvik Offline OP
OP Offline
The Softkey says "Identity" and is F0

SX-200 LW17 K31.0.3 15-MAR-2000

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
So depending on the number of rooms in your motel, there will be 1 or more cabinets that look like oversized microwave oven cabinets. They will have 'MITEL' on the front, IF the front was reinstalled after the last service. The other cabinets, if any are required, may alternatively resemble computer towers. Some or all of these cabinets may be mounted on a rack, the wall, a table, or even sitting on the floor! Rule of thumb, there will be 1 cabinet for every 70 rooms.
The announcement device may be part of a voice mail, or some sort of stand alone unit. Call Extend and Eazy are 2 brands that come to mind.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Torvik Offline OP
OP Offline
Can anyone tell me which of the "cool features" telephoneguy listed might work on our system?

Actually 'Maid In Room' doesn't need 'PMS', it works with 'HOSPITALITY', just not as smoothly or conveniently.

'Twinning' wasn't available until lite 19, if I recall correctly.

Other than those, everything telephoneguy mentioned 'is in there', kinda like PREGO! smile

Again, get in touch with your vendor. And search the files for user guides. There may be some buried in a filing cabinet.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
And those are just a few off the top of my head. You tell the vendor what you want it to do. LightWare 17 will sing and dance for you.

One Phone tech I know even set up Least-Cost-routing to make certain dialed numbers ring on his cell phone, instead. So if you don't want your F/D clerks dialing out for Pizza, you can make it seem like you're sitting at the local pizza place taking their calls!

The ML/EL is a very cool system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,287
Posts638,793
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,173 Shoretel
188,992 CTX100 install
187,380 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 23
teleco 7
dexman 5
dans 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 119 guests, and 388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024