web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
odin30 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi i have just become a member of this forum because i had nowhere else to go with my problem. I had noticed you seemed to be the most helpful forum on the internet and was hoping i could maybe pick your brain on a few questions.
Background. We are a very small hotel (less than 11 rooms) and have had a sx-50(mitel) working for 20 years. Never had any problems at all with it until yesterday. When it rains out here we end up with line noise which makes all our phones unuseable including phones not even hooked to the system (private lines). We assumed it was a problem with the lines so we called bell canada to come fix them. We had put up with the bad phones when it was wet as they always came back and worked fine when the rain or wet weather stopped.
This time the technicians came out and fixed one of the private lines and also replaced the 2 lines that lead to our mitel system.
After they had replaced those lines my mitel system does not work, it either wont take calls, gives error codes on the led at the bottom of the unit (blinking 8,7, 6 sometimes) or we get a permanent red light on one of the lines on the trunk card.
None of this had ever happened before the technicians replaced these lines in 20 years.
I have tried resetting the unit both by unplugging the power and hitting the reset button on the side of the unit, both with no effect. The technicians say our unit is now bad and they dont work on them any more so we have to buy a new system.
I am furious with them as i don't believe the system could possibly go down at the exact same day and time as they replaced 2 lines and fixed a residential line not even attached to the system. I have no recourse at the moment but to deal with them as no one out here (northwestern ontario) will work on this mitel sx-50 or give any support.
Do you have any hints on what i need to say to them to get this running again?
Did i screw things up by hitting the reset button?
The instructions in the manual say that a reset doesnt wipe any data or change any programming but i have no idea.
I have no working console for the system as it broke 10 years ago and we simply route the calls with a regular phone by flashing and simply connecting people that way.
I realize this is alot of info, but any insight would be appreciated.
Thank you
Brad

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

It sounds like to me the trunks are in busy out state. But without a console to unbusy it will be quit hard.

RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Yep, the trunks are probably busied out, a reset will probably clear that. BUT, if the LEC BOZO's reversed polarity, they will just go busyout again!

Brad, I feel for you. Call the phone company and tell them they reversed polarity to your telephone system and now they need to correct the problem, AT YOUR END!

Surely Canada has what we in the U.S. call a corporation commission in most states, that oversee's the various utilities, esp. in terms of how they interact with and sometimes 'screw around with' their customers.

"The technicians say our unit is now bad and they dont work on them any more so we have to buy a new system."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And let me guess, they are 'the only game in town', so to speak. How convenient. All I can tell you is that you need to start documenting all communication with the LEC, RIGHT NOW! Take names and employee numbers every chance you get. You might consider recording all conversations, because I can assure you, if you have to go to the corporation commission, the LEC will have their recordings. Be sure to make it very clear to all parties on any recording that you ARE RECORDING THE CONVERSATION. OK, Go Get 'em, Brad!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Two other possiblities are that the lines were punched down on the wrong trunk ports for the system (these ports not being resident in programming would cause them to be unusable) or the trunks are reversed tip for ring and if they are ground start they will raise an alarm constantly. What led at the bottom of the unit is blinking? Is it the display led at the side on the right or on cards at the front with the cover off

odin30 Offline OP
OP Offline
display is fine on the front cards, i did a reset, have only one line attached just to try and get something but all i get now is a flashing 6 on the led.
Wish i had not done a reset i think i might have screwed something up.
So upset i have to buy a new system cause of these guys.

odin30 Offline OP
OP Offline
i meant the two cards are always green. When he last set up the lines and hooked everything up he said it was fine and left. Low and behold i could only get calls in and not dial out, thats when i tried the reset. Borrowed a console from someone to try and get a diagnostic, it said alarm but i couldnt bring the alarm code up. Then i unplugged the console and plugged it back in and now it just blinks with the time. Can't get status or anything.

OK, sounds like Dr PBX is correct, the lines were not punched down on the correct ports. frown Are there ANY telephone system technicians in the area?

Proposal, contact a Mitel Tech on the board, get a commitment and a $ quote. Then contact a local tech who will be willing to be the on-site hands and eyes, so to speak. Then borrow the console, get everybody together and get it fixed. But first, try to find a Mitel tech in your area.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
odin30 Offline OP
OP Offline
ok going to have them come out and at least bypass the system for now until i can (maybe) find a mitel tech to come out.
Unfortunately i have to call them to just by pass the system on one of the lines to get my 1-800-number working as its what im worried about most at the moment.
Summer and fall is our busy time and that is ending so at least this happened at a better time...thank god for small favors i guess.
I doubt i can find a mitel guy anywhere near here but i will try.
Maybe someone passing through here, were on the trans Canada highway west of thunder bay and east of winnipeg.

odin30 Offline OP
OP Offline
And thank you and these boards no matter what happens, thank god my trust in technicians isnt totally lost, there is some honest people out there.

odin30 Offline OP
OP Offline
One more question.
Was the resetting of the system a bad idea? i had got some advice to do it somewhere else but since i did that it doesnt work at all, at least before i had some life from it.
Could the original data have been lost?
I reset with the side button.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,096 Shoretel
187,702 CTX100 install
186,790 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024