web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I work at a hotel and we have a Mitel SX-200 Digital system (not IP - we have analog and SuperSet phones). How can I change the name on an analog extension from the console? I found Form 9, but when I try to enter letters from the Console phone, they just show up as numbers.

Thanks!

Ross
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

You can't. It needs to be done either from programming (for analog) or either through programming or from the superkey (for digital sets).

Connection with a laptop is required.

Or, if you have a PMS interface, PMS can do it.

A side note: The SX200D -- if you're describing it correctly, it's a huge boxy thing, like a refrigerator -- backs up onto a 5 1/4" floppy disk. Every programming change requires writing to that disk, and every programming session requires reading from that disk.

If your 5 1/4 drives and/or floppies should go, you will have serious problems with the system. I recommend two things:

1.) Don't make a lot of programming changes unnecessarily, especially for things as trivial as name displays.

2.) Put money into Capital Expenses for a system upgrade soon. You need to plan ahead, so that when TSHTF, you've already allocated/accrued the cash to deal with the replacement.

OP Offline
Oh - OK then. What kind of connection is that? Special cable? Where would I connect to?
I really thought our phone guy just did the extension right from the console.
I have a PMS interface, but this isn't an extension that the PMS sets the name for.

Ross
If the phone guy does it from the console, then he has activated the port on the console. It's serial / terminal emulation.

OP Offline
Ok - well does it take a special cable or what? Just a plain 'ol serial cable? What about the Baud rate, etc?

Ross
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
telephoneguy has brought up a valid point. However, the program discs 'may' be 3.5 rather than 5 1/4, depending on the software release.

As for the cable, the port on the console is a regular RS232 "STANDARD" (OXYMORON) connection. Hyperterm works well for programming, once it's set up correctly for the Mitel application. As for protocol, most likely 8, 1, none and 1200-19,200. Try locked speed, the Mitel doesn't react very well to 'self-adjusting' software.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Originally posted by telephoneguy:

A side note: The SX200D -- if you're describing it correctly, it's a huge boxy thing, like a refrigerator -- backs up onto a 5 1/4" floppy disk. Every programming change requires writing to that disk, and every programming session requires reading from that disk.

If your 5 1/4 drives and/or floppies should go, you will have serious problems with the system.
Would it be possible to replace the 5 1/4" or 3 1/2" drive with a Solid State Drive? Is the SX200D drive interface standard IDE or Shugart or proprietary?

FYI, Standard 3.5 drives can be used, AS LONG AS THE CAN BE ADDRESSED ON THE #2 OR 'B' CONTROL LINE. I have no idea why, but Mitel decided to use the original 'B' drive address. (I believe the 5.25 drives are the same.)

As for subbing a solid state drive.... I don't know if anyone has tried it. Be aware that the Mitel OS is proprietary. Neither DOS/WINDOWS nor MAC compatible. It would be nice if it could be done, but as pointed out above, the read/writes are almost continuous, and I fear that the SS drives have some limit to the # of read/writes before they fail. Of course, so do the floppies, but their problem is more a hardware problem than a media problem. And you are using a platform that has been out of production for at least 15 years!

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Owain, the drive looks like a IDE floppy, but as LH said, the OS is proprietary and is not FAT or NTFS.

You can obtain the database through a terminal emulator program as a FAT16/32 file, which can then be edited, but it is not world-readable, even then. And the Generic -- forget about it.

So if you got a solid state drive to work, you couldn't copy the Generic to the drive, so you'd be SOL.

And as LH said -- 15+ years out of production. The LAST generic for this was Lightware 15/16, and that's 5 releases before the platform changed to ICP. Unless it's a shop switch that you're screwing with just as a hobby, I would not attempt to alter the Hardware.

OP Offline
Nope - mine isn't fridge sized. We have about 4 of these:
https://www.telephonemagic.com/images/mitel/sx-200-cabinet-300.jpg
No floppy drive or anything like that. Just a bunch of those bays.
We have had this since ~2000 - so its not THAT old.

Ross
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,694
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,704 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 113 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024