web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#121445 06/16/04 04:59 PM
jjimm Offline OP
OP Offline
I haven't worked on key systems for many years, and am not familiar with the different KSUs(i.e.,Avaya Partner vs Norstar DS5)and the limitations of their PBX-like features (hybrids).
I was called on a repair for a "crashed" Norstar DS5. It had lost its programming due to a faulty card not keeping the programming when power was lost, and it reverted to factory fault. It also had all DIDs down, and all outgoing lines down in the line pool. I figured these out to be carrier problems. I was impressed that the Norstar handled DIDs. But when I went through the diagnostics and tested, I could not understand how to detect a defective DID card. A simple method would have been green-good/red-defective LEDs, but unfortunately all LEDs are red, and there are no LEDs on DID cards.
Sure-trial and error. roll them. Is there a better way to test for defective DID cards?

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

#121446 06/16/04 05:04 PM
jjimm Offline OP
OP Offline
I meant to say "reverted to factory default".

Lousy typist! Details are hard enough to type with 2 FAT fingers.

#121447 06/17/04 12:58 AM
Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
Testing analog DID carts can be done with a "butt" set. Clip on to each trunk, go off hook and dial the send digits. You emulate the CO. You can also take each line out of service. The reason your DID's are not working is lost program. DID's must be programmed to target lines. Depending on your system size and DID range you have a lot of reprogramming to do! Put a BIG ups on the system until you can get the software/memory cart replaced. Be prepared to reprogram the system again!

#121448 06/17/04 03:42 AM
jjimm Offline OP
OP Offline
Unfortunately, the carrier (I won't mention any names about bankrupt companies..) DIDN"T KNOW the send digits, and I had to guess which line the DIDs were pointed to. At least they were good enough to busy out the first line (dead), so the calls could come in after programming.
Also emulated the wink from the CO and there was no wink back from the system, which helped. But it seems like the Norstar diagnostics should have had a procedure revealing a disabled state. Even though I could test the module, it would only indicate whether I was ativating or disabling, when pressing "State". And, I had to test each slot and port, one at a time- didn't know right off which port the DID cards on the extension board were.
Also, there was no alarm on the set, nor any indication in the system log that it had lost power. I guess because it had DIDs I expected too much from the Norstar-like a "real" PBX.

Lucky it was a small system, and the receptionist remembered the extensions. I have the information now, for my return with the new card.

Thanks for the reply.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,793 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 104 guests, and 236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024