web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
The company hired a new tech guy who said that we should trash the PBX system so he can build us a Asterisk system instead.

The person who hired this guy is a bigger idiot than the idiot he hired if he is even willing to listen to this BS. There is no such thing as an "upgrade" to Asterisk.

Your current system is new and does what you want. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I say GO FOR IT! I am certain you wanted to get a new job anyway. Maybe you and the IT guy can go into business together after you both lose your jobs.

Seriously, this about the most foolish thing I have ever heard. You need to find a new IT guy.
I agree with the above, it sounds like he just wants a new toy to play with which, even if he knows exactly what he is doing and everything goes incredibly smoothly (not likely), it will now become his full time job to administer.

This is just another case of "you can't fix stupid". Hal hit the nail on the head. If its not broke, don't fix it.

I agree with liquidvw "This is REALLY a bad idea!!! Pack your bags now. Because you are both going to loose your job." I thought that was particularly funny.

I agree with anthonyh "sounds to me like the IT guy just wants something to play with."
Your new "tech" guy sounds typical of ppl who think the world will stop spinning if they are not involved in it.

I agree with Hal "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

I'm assuming you the administrator of the phone system? Tell the new guy to mind his own business. The PBX I have is about 10 years old and still works fine.

Richard

Candor - Intelligence - Good Will
OP Offline
Hi.

Its an Offiserv 500 https://www.samsung.com/Products/BusinessTelephoneSystem/DigitalTelephoneSystems/iDCS500.asp

The phone system is my office has maybe 90 people and it’s absolutely mission critical. If our phone system are down and people are unable to call us in order to buy or sell stocks. It can be disastrous for the company. So having 100% uptime is an absolute must.

I like new technology and applications as much as the next guy however a working phone system in a mission critical application is not the time or the place to play with new toys in my opinion.

Just for the record, I immediately told him that we are fine with our current phone system and did not want to play around with an asterisks system since our system worked perfectly fine.

However the next couple of weeks he kept pushing the asterisk system every change he got. He would print out pictures of the phones and put them on my desk every morning and keep asking me about it in the hallway, etc..

This guy has also made a lot of other recommendations that make absolutely no logic.

The sad thing is there are people at the company who will just blindly follow that this new tech guy said without following any common sense.

If you ask him to explain the logic, he just starts getting upset and start yelling his head off.

So I am going to have to see how this turns out.

Thanks.

If you ask him to explain the logic, he just starts getting upset and yelling.

That's something they learn in Microsoft MSCNE school. How DARE you mere mortals question ME? I am an IT guy!! puke

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
RCA Offline
That's funny Hal.

Coolphonesrock, have your IT guy sign up as a member here and we will get to the bottom of this.

Rhett
Ran into the same kind of EGO Moron IT guy in the east bay . When I told him his DHCP Server was missing option 125 . I left the job site . He still does not have the problem resolved ! :shrug:

Let It Be , I live in a Yellow Submarine . SCCE
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
My knee-jerk reaction? It's him or you! Better pack your stuff b4 you throw down the gauntlet. Might even polish and distribute your resume. I pity people that get stuck in your position. Unless something changes, the new guy will probably get his way and the company will get screwed. Unfortunately, you'll get canned because he proved that you were right! Standard corporate reverse logic. Good Luck.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
You could bud nip him by asking about Redundency & Resilencey ! Take 30 minutes and google each . :toast:

Let It Be , I live in a Yellow Submarine . SCCE
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,397 Shoretel
189,127 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 115 guests, and 432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024