web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I have a customer with a Norstar 824 system & Startalk voicemail. I went onsite around a week ago and the entire system was reset back to factory settings ... DNs changed, phone templates changed, etc. I reprogrammed the system to get it back like it was before (the Startalk settings were correct). This morning I got another call, and the system was reset again. I think they may have lost power over the weekend, but I don't understand why the system is not saving the settings. The biggest pain is that they cannot even use it until I reprogram it b/c they have a T1 and the default settings for the lines are rotary dial (which is not supported).

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

It sounds like the battery is dead. Even after you replce it, you might want to consider a decent BBU just to give you an extra layer of protection.

------------------
Intertel Telephone Repair
Norstar Telephone Repair

[This message has been edited by paul144 (edited November 08, 2004).]

I agree that the battery in the system must have finally died. I have had the same experience on two 616 systems. Best choice is to get a new system board or whole KSU and start over. A good UPS/BBU is also worth considering. I suggest an "on-line" system where the KSU power actually runs on the UPS so that when there is a power failure it does not "transfer" from AC to the UPS. I think it is better especially for the voice mail which I believe is more sensitive to power failures. This also should help if there are surges or quick failures and restores which can prove to be more damaging than a full/complete loss of power. Good luck.

Jim Lynch
I believe the battery for the software on an 8/24 is in the data cartridge itself if I remember correctly. So you should be able to replace that an not have to replace the KSU. If this is occurring quite frequently, you should get a good backup of the system so that you do not have to reprogram if the system does default. Would also recommend that you put an UPS on the system.
B.

Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
The battery (a super-farad capacitor) is in the software cartridge. The easiest thing to do is to just replace the cartidge---then send the old cartridge out to have it repaired--then you'll have a spare (if you service more 824s)---or---see if you can get an "advance repacement from a refurb outfit. Good Luck

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 120 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024