web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#128972 07/15/06 02:39 AM
RJ45 Offline OP
OP Offline
I was dispatched yesterday to bring in a new 1mb line to a Nortel/ICS system (little 2 DRS card KSU).

For all the Nortels I've worked on, the CO lines are punched down generally in sequence, lines 1 - 8, beginning at w/bl on the RJ21x feeding the system via amphenol/25 pair cable. On larger systems with expansion cabinets the add'l lines go "punch 2/skip 2" on the 21x.

So this system had me going in circles for awhile. It was "punch 1/skip 1/punch 1/skip 5". I finally decided to try that visual pattern to find where the 5th line (Line 25 to the system) should go. Using the pattern it went on y/or, and in fact came up.

I was in touch with my partner throughout this questionable system. He is Nortel certified, I'm not, I just work on those and other systems. He swore up and down that the pattern I finally determined could not have been proper. Our only thought, after confirming the 25 pair was punched down correctly, is that perhaps the amphenol had been made incorrectly.

Thoughts? Has anyone seen a system with the CO sequence I mentioned? A 20 minute job took over 2 hours! At least I was given the OK to bill for all my extra time....

TIA

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Has to be the Ampenol. It was in sequence on the old 8x24's, the CICS and MICS are punch 2,skip 2.

Thats just weird :shrug:

Richard
AVAYA-NORTEL-SAMSUNG-PANASONIC-MITEL
www.acceleratedtelecom.com
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
We put in a CICS last fall and couldn't figure out why the stations were not coming up. The amphenol had been made upside-down. We thought maybe we had put the block upside down--but the amp connector itself was goofy. Go figure.

Similar story here. I was adding stations and lines to a pre-installed system. Nothing was coming up or coming up with wrong ports.

WTF?

After trying everything I could think of, I finally looked at the color sequence of the 25 pr. tail the previous installer (herein known as mo-mo) punched down. Was not in the correct order...

Note to installers: If you don't know what you're doing...don't do it!

D. Ocean
Miami, FL

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,256
Posts638,657
Members49,756
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
210,764 Shoretel
187,581 CTX100 install
186,326 1a2 system
Newest Members
Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset, Housetech
49,756 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 16
Toner 12
TDKs79 7
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024