web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#132987 04/12/07 04:39 AM
kaka Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello All,
I am a Network Admin in a small company and
we have a Norstar meridian phone system with 12 T7316E and 2 T7208 handsets.
Recently we employed a new employee and I want to give her a T7208 with a new extension. But When I plug the T7208 into the system, it picks up a currently assigned extension number that is not being used at the moment.

My question is that how can I force the T7208 to pick up a new extension number or better, how can I assign a specific extension to this old T7208 handset?

Thank you for your help and time.
Regards,
KAKA

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Welcome to the board K.
welcome welcome

This would be something that is a little more difficult that just a simple procedure. It involves passwords and installer access which is not permitted on this web board. Someone may choose to send you a PM with some instructions or someone you can call to get help. Sounds to me like you need a DN change and then add the mbox. Do you have a local telecom company to call?Telemarv services in Ottawa is one of the best on this board.

Two girls later and I'm back.....lol...been gone a while but see same faces still here. Lol
kaka Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Nickels,
Thank you for your warm welcome emoticons. smile

I'm not sure if this helps but I have all access to [Edited to remove passcode information].
The T7208 that I want to assign a new extension picks up the extension 41 which I reserved for a special purpose. Extensions in our company starts from 22 and goes through 34. And now, the time is to use the extension number 35 for our new employee. The T7208 picks up the extension number 41 which I'd like to keep.

Do you think assigning extension # 35 to the T7208 requires professional help? I though I could assign any extension number to any handset that I want. No?

Thank you. smile

Hi kaka and welcome

For security reasons we ask that you not post passwords, security codes, usernames, or other sensitive data in the open forum. If you are working with a tech, you may send those via the PM feature.

Thanks for understanding. :thumb:

Find the distribution block for your system extensions and run a new cross connect from extension 35 to the station cable of the location you'd like that extention to appear.

Respectfully,
Mike Evans
CHS Telecom
Hey kaka,
Welcom to the board!
If you know how to get in go to System Programming, press Show, dial old DN number then Dial new DN. That is all. Assign new mailbox, Forward your ext.Fo NA to VM in Capabilities and you done.

kaka Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello,

Mike Evans,
Thank you for your time for your advise. The cabling has already been made. Every desk in our office has an RJ-11 plug to the main board.

vad60,
I was thinking of doing what you suggested but I need a clarification; So, the T7201 picks up extension # 41 as it is now. I want to assign an extension # 35 to it. If I go to the system programming and change Old DN:41 to New DN:35, am I still going to keep the extension 41? Because extension 41 is in use for an remote employee who can call in and check her voice messages.
All I want is assigning extension 35 to the T7208 without deleting or modifying old extension 41 so that the remote employee can still have access to her voice mail.

Thank you everybody in this community to accept questions from a neewbee like me! smile to come up with solutions.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
The recommended method is do a cross connect at the equipment field as Mike Evans stated. This way your extensions & port numbers don't get too messed up.

To avoid the problem that you are having now, I always place "Guest" mailboxes outside the range of present & possible future extension #'s.

Vad60's way is a valid way as well, but is not a recommended shortcut to use.

Dave

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
MooreTel is right,

If you want to make sure that port 1001 is Ext.221 and lets say port 1012 is Ext. 232 you better change crossconnect, but if you don't care you can go ahead and do DN renumbering.
Kaka,
as soon as you will assign ext.35 to 41 then Ext.41 automatically wiil take #35. So you are doing a simple swap and not loosing 41. It will be the same Guest mailbox as used to. Besides who told that DN renumbering is not recomended. It is a system Feature wich is available for convenience and usefull as well.

YES---DN RENUMBERING IS ACCEPTABLE--BUT BE KIND TO THE NEXT TECH TO COME ALONG BEHIND YOU---STICK A NOTE ON OR NEAR THE KSU TO ALERT THE NEXT TECH THAT COMES BEHIND YOU SO THEY KNOW THE EXTENSION THEY ARE WORKING ON MAY NOT BE ASSIGNED TO THE DEFAULT PORT ( A REAL TIMESAVER ).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,709 CTX100 install
186,795 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 115 guests, and 232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024