web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
OP Offline
My client bought the building with an 8x24 DR5.1 DS and this VM, a Norstar Voice Mail, Model V3G Rel 04 2 years ago. The building had been M/T for 2 years prior to that.

I've been there 3 times since they bought to resetup the system & VM.

This was a big manufacturing plant B/4, but still after 2 years they only have a half dozen sets or so working.

She called today complaining that they had had a power outage this w/e and since then their VM hasn't worked. After several questions I realize that the whole system has defaulted as well.

Verified when I got there & of course the UPS is defective. Because I had thought to bring a new one with me, I changed it.....also defective. %&$#@*^$.

I changed the Data cartridge as the cap had gone tits up, so that'll hold them until tomorrow. I did't do anything for the VM as I'm not sure if there is a CAP in that as well that should be changed, & since I had to go back with a working UPS tomorrow, I thought I'd ask you guys.

She also told me that "Now that I think about it, every time there was a power outage lately, my VM wouldn't work for a couple of days, then would start."

I've never installed one of these so is there something I should be checking or will it show after I get the rest of the system to work?

Dave

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Sounds like a fast on/off/on power left vm down untill next power outage was down long enough for both sys. and vm to come up together when powered back up? Strange for vm to start working after a couple of days.How much voltage passing thru old ups.?

OP Offline
Originally posted by jacktel:
Sounds like a fast on/off/on power left vm down untill next power outage was down long enough for both sys. and vm to come up together when powered back up? Strange for vm to start working after a couple of days.How much voltage passing thru old ups.?
I agree on all counts. I put a meter on the UPS before I pulled the plug. I had 117.x VAC. When I pulled the plug from the outlet I had a big fat "0".

Therefore the UPS battery was dead.

I just hope that after I getbthe rest going I don't have to wait for 2 or 3 days to "see".

I think I'll give it about an hour, then throw in a Flash 2.

I'd like to resart everything from "0" including extensions as the ones they're using are all over the map, but she tells me they need the same extensions as they're printed on their business cards.

Dave

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
Does this vm have a 5.25 floppy drive! Also the battery on the cpu can be replaced.

OP Offline
I didn't see a floppy drive on the outside as in the Nortel A, B, or C'S if that's what you mean. I believe this is a newer model.

I'll see about taking the cover off though tomorrow, if I need to.

I just went through the paper work that Bell left behind. Whatever my old pal did consisted of:
NVM 4.0 Model 4 Bundle (French)

Upgrade/NVM 2 Voice Channel EN
N* VM 4.3 Doc. kit
DBN V1.3 Kit French
NVM 4.0 Model 2 and Doc/ENG
Minuet ACD 1.2 SW DOC Kit French

Maybe that gives you some idea of what this is.

Dave

Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
A model 4 nam connected to an 8x24! Then the media interface card has been changed. It's still an os2 platform and the battery can be changed.

That's a copper NAM Dave. It's still a PC in voice mail clothing (One step beyond Startalk A,B,C). You should have some LED digits in the top left corner. They display status of system "00" means its working.

If you've changed the 824 cartridge, make sure you are using the same DN digit length.

You also may have hard drive issues.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
Oh and I have one if you need it.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
If it's really a V3G NAM then you must have the fiber to copper converter to connect to the 824. Also check power to the converter.

Brian Cox
J & J Communications
OP Offline
It was the NAM. I spoke to Marv this am while on site and I wasn't getting a light from where the fiber attached to it. Had light from the converter, though. So we decided it's dead. Pulled out me pipes, played a lament, & will be swapping it out later this week.

Thanks all for the imput, especially Marv.

Dave

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,696
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,708 CTX100 install
186,794 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 12
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
3 members (Yoda, Toner, Curlycord), 135 guests, and 240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024