web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I have had different vendors say one works for XXX and one will not. Just what are the differences?

I know an ATA adapter allows quasi 2500 compatibility, but, not 100% on the ATA2's differences.

Also, had a vendor tell me the VMI was required to get DTMF through the port to our IVR.

This is all curiousity to me.

Not to mention the issues we have with Nortel not sending DTMF * or # via intercom channel.

it's all tip and ring
Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
This is anecdotal at best, but I've installed several Nortels with ATA-2's to IVR systems and also connected digital ports. All depends on the board in the IVR! The ATA does not have forward compatibility but the ATA-2 is backwards compatible. The VMI is forward on all platforms and software. I'm not sure on the latest revs though! The VMI was designed to provide Nortel prompting as it sits in front of an after market voicemail and of course analog connectivity! As to the DTMF * and # on intercom, I was recently asked out to a job site for a gate phone/controller. I had previously connected an analog via ASM for this use. I had to go back and "help" the alarm gate phone company. Thinking of the DTMF issue, I tried going to long tones and it worked every time.

The VMI can be programmed to send dtmf tones during certain conditions such as disconnect. It also will send dtmf received from a digital set key pad. Neither the ATA or ATA-2 will.

Unfortunately the VMI was discontinued.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
OP Offline
Thanks for the info. Sure do wish VMI's were still available, would make the integretion required by our IVR easier.

Do ATA2's work on all versions of Nortel/Northern Telecom/Meridian/or your favorite name for them?

it's all tip and ring
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
As far as I know, they will only work on Norstar systems.

As for "Northern Telecom", if you're referring to the "Vantage" line of systems...NO. These came out prior to the name change to "Nortel".

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,605 Shoretel
189,485 CTX100 install
187,658 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 143 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024