Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#138205 04/08/08 12:29 PM
Mike W Offline OP
OP Offline
We're considering upgrading our MICS 4.1 to 7.1 -or whatever is current- in the next few months, primarily because our Flash 2.0 seems to be dying a slow death (had to reboot it twice in the last six months...no programming lost, yet) and our vendor is giving us a deal if we upgrade the MICS at the same time as replacing the Flash with a CP150.

My questions are:

1) Does the MICS upgrade only involve a new software cart, or does the physical trunk box have to be replaced? The quoted price looks like a lot for just a cartridge

2) Is there any 'clear winner' feature addition or improvement between ver 4 & 7? Other than the standard "it's just newer" answer, I haven't been able to get much of a reason why we would want the MICS upgraded.

3) Is the next release of the MICS software likely to hit anytime soon?

Thanks gents.

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

#138206 04/08/08 01:23 PM
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
The price quoted from the vendor will of course cover the price of the software upgrade as well as his time involved for the upgrade. It's not a simple "Pull the old out & push the new one in". There are proceedures that he must take to insure everythings OK afterwards.

Also did he just quote a price for the software with service as a separate item?

Is it a "Global" quote for the software, Call Pilot and service all included? If so, the bulk of the price would be the Call Pilot & reprogramming that from scratch.

For your 2nd question, check out this link for some of the changes.

For the next release? Your guess is as good as mine, but do you really want to wait until your Flash dies completely & have to wait for the vendor to get what is needed to get you back up & running?

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
#138207 04/08/08 04:56 PM
Mike W Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Dave

I requested a quote on installation of a CP150, and that then became a CP150/MICS 7.1 combo. The difference between the two quotes seemed high for a MICS software upgrade, which is why I was wondering if it included new hardware. I don't know what kind of labour said upgrade would entail, but even if programming had to be rebuilt from scratch, we have a relatively simple system which an expert could likely complete in an hour or two (I figure it would take me about a day).

In the end, I will likely go with the combo upgrade, if for no other reason than to avoid connecting a new VM to a 7-year old key system - although this doesn't sound like all that bad an idea from what I've read on the forum.

Thanks.

#138208 04/09/08 12:19 AM
Even after the upgrade, you're still going to have a "7-year old key system", just updated with the newest software. 7 years for a Nortel KSU is nothing. I've still got clients with their original KSU's being 15 years old. They're tough. I've only had to change out two KSU's because they were defective: 1 took a direct lightning stike and the 2nd took a surge and blew out one line. And that was easily repaired with a new fuse soldered onto the board.

If you are at all happy with your system, it's worth the upgrade.

The whole reason for your dilema is the Flash VM. I wouldn't even consider repacing it with a Flash. Call Pilot is much more stable and worth the price.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
#138209 04/09/08 01:12 AM
Unless you are looking at the added features of Digtal Mobilty Telephones or want to use T7316e telephones, an upgrade to 7.1 is not nessecary to run Call Pilot. The minimum version required is 4.1. Also if you are using PRI for your lines 4.1 was not very stable and I do recommend the upgrade.

There is hardware involved in your upgrade... NVRAM cartridge must be replace. The proceedure to upgrade while maintaining the current database is rather lengthly and required if you are using PRI.

Next generation of software: 8.0 I have not heard of any release date or if there is even one planned. I have a wish list for what it would contain.... VoIP modules.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
#138210 04/09/08 01:00 PM
Mike W Offline OP
OP Offline
Always good advice on the forum, thanks guys.

Marv, no PRI yet, so I guess sticking with 4.1 won't kill me. I can only think of three benefits:

1) I've had an infrequent corruption of HG settings with 4.1. Deleting & rebuilding the offending HG seems to take care of it, but I guess this must be fixed in 7.1.

2) DST change (not a big deal really).

3) We're currently working around a few dead ports, and I will eventually need these for stations (although not in the immediate future).

Thanks again, will let you know how it goes.

#138211 04/10/08 05:35 AM
Originally posted by telemarv:

Next generation of software: 8.0 I have not heard of any release date or if there is even one planned. I have a wish list for what it would contain.... VoIP modules.
Marv, I know this is a wish list for many us, but have you heard that this might be a possibility (rumor mill), or just a pipe dream; eventually forcing everyone to move to a BCM.

#138212 04/10/08 06:27 AM
Just dreaming.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,593 Shoretel
189,478 CTX100 install
187,628 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (Touch Tone Tommy), 154 guests, and 340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024