web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
One of our techs just swapped out an old 824 for a MICS 6.1 in a house because the customer wanted Caller ID.

One Glitch:

The gate uses the same DT as line 4 on the KSU.

But on the 824, when the gate was calling, line 4 rang with the same cadence as an intercom call (short double ring). When an actual phone call came into line 4 the ring was a normal incoming co call ring. In other words, they could tell the difference by the ring cadence.

The MICS 6.1 rings the same no matter if it's the gate or a phone call.

Now being that the same line is going to both the gate and to line 4, then the gate must using the line to send ring voltage to the KSU without actually dialing the phone number (since line 4 can't call itself).

So, there probably is no fix for this, but I'm stumped as to why the 824 could tell the difference between a phone call and the gate - and ring differently, but the MICS can't...

Any ideas?

BTW, the MICS has an older style CID card...you know the one that sticks out a little farther than the current ones....if that makes a difference.

Punch down all your damn pairs!..........(please).
Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Former Moderator-Nortel
Former Moderator-Nortel
You got me as to how it gave an I/C ring on line 4....or how it even worked.
But to answer your question - "any ideas"?
Yes, put the gate to its own line. Then you can make it a distinctive ring if you want to.
But if not, it will show up on its own line button.

If CON is the opposite of PRO
Then what is the opposite of Progress?
OP Offline
I t is strange. I even thad the tech put the 824 back in to confirm this scenario, and yes......line 4 rang differently than a co call on re-connecting.

How is the gate calling? How is it connected to the MICS? Maybe we can come up with a work around.

Have you listened to the ring via a butt set?

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990

What Marv suggested is your best bet. Test with your Butt set from the gate and see what kind of ring pattern the gate unit is sending to the KSU.

Richard
AVAYA-NORTEL-SAMSUNG-PANASONIC-MITEL
www.acceleratedtelecom.com
OP Offline
I'm not sure how the gate is calling. I don't know much about entry systems. What I do know is that the gate is conected to the same CO as line 4 on the KSU and line 4 is the line that rings when someone presses the call button at the gate. So I can only surmise that the gate system is using the CO itself to send some kind of ring signal to the KSU, causing line 4 to ring.

Honestly, the customer is ok with it the way it is. I'm just trying to understand how te 824 can tell the difference and the MICS can't. It's not necessarily something we have to go out there and fix.

Sounds like you have distinctive ring from the CO on line 4. Your work around may be to insert a distinctive ring box in front of the system and break out the lines.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,867
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,678 Shoretel
189,683 CTX100 install
187,874 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024