web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#145854 02/16/10 06:49 AM
OP Offline
I have a Norstar Startalk vm system, model NT8B72AB-93 Model A. We had a power outage for about 4 hours over the weekend, and now can't boot it back up. Phone system is working, but not the Startalk. Tried rebooting, then later tried rebooting holding down the reset switch for 10 -15 seconds. Nothing. When we try to program, it saysw "Feature Inactive" Anyone have any ideas. Much appreciated.

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
That Model "A" Startalk has some age on it---it appears, at first glance, that you may have a hard drive issue. Being a software guy, you may have to call someone in. A Nortel dealer can get you another hard drive, but it may be better for you to upgrade to a newer Flash, but that, of course, depends on the software version of your phone system.

I have, as a last resort, taken out the hard drives of Startalks and tried to "jump start" them---but most of the time (80%) it is in vain---the HD is just shot--either with a bad sector or corrupted data.

Get in touch with a Nortel dealer and ask him what he thinks. A regular Nortel mod will probably jump in here soon.

Online Content
Well said or its the power supply, we find the power supplies hard to find as well the scuzzi hard drives.

First try F983, if syays "Password" then you lost all programming and need to start from scratch.

Cant say I recall a reset switch but do recall a red switch at the side to turn off then on again.

NAM vmail is another option as a replacement.

=---()))))))))---=
www.curlycord.com
[Linked Image from telcopc.ca]
Toronto, Canada

It sounds like it went back to default....You will require the system more than likly to be reprogrammed. Power bumps cause this to happen all the time. To comply with the rules of this site, I am not able to provide these to you, in this post. Do you have a telco that provides service to your system. Are you really familiar with the programming in the Star Talk. Build the mailboxs, Auto Attendant, CCR tree.

Two girls later and I'm back.....lol...been gone a while but see same faces still here. Lol
Try Feature 903 from the reception phone and if it says Password, your system is back to default....

Two girls later and I'm back.....lol...been gone a while but see same faces still here. Lol
Online Content
F903 only for late version Flashtalk and is to except or change feature codes....would be F983 in this case.

=---()))))))))---=
www.curlycord.com
Toronto, Canada

OP Offline
Feature 983 just brings up "Inactive Feature"

Your sure its not 903 Curly? Based on his above number, That looks like the old voicemails, that 903 was used in......

Online Content
Yes positive....only on later verions on Startalk Flash, not StarTalk A or B which are the larger verions same size as KSU.

For every 10 Startalks we brought in for repair I would say 1 was PS, others were all hard drive issues.
We dont even repair them anymore as not worth it money wise these days.

What is your software version and make of phone system? presume make is 8X24?.

=---()))))))))---=
www.curlycord.com
Toronto, Canada

You can try removing the feature codes and then rebooting.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,693
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,098 Shoretel
187,703 CTX100 install
186,792 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 14
TDKs79 8
Who's Online Now
1 members (Curlycord), 77 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024