web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#149011 06/11/11 10:08 AM
OP Offline
I have a customer that will have a Modular ICS in each of two adjacent buildings. We can run cable between the two locations. What are the options to connect the two MICS units? I know about using T1/PRI to connect through the T1 provider, but I'm looking for a simple less expensive solution to connect via a cable connection without using T1 cards. Ideally they'd like to be able to dial station to station between the buildings. I've heard you can connect two MICS units via an ATA II on each system with limited functionality, but don't know how that would work. Any help?

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
First of all, if you can run cable between the buildings, what is the length of the run? How big is each MICS?

My first option would be to just run 1 MICS and connecting the 2nd buildings phones on a feed cable. The phones will work up to 2000+ feet without issues, and now you have 1 system for everyone.

The only other viable way to connect the two is using the T-1 cards and a crossover cable to connect them.

Again, if you can run cable, then just use one MICS.

Z-man
Avaya SME Authorized Partner
www.omniofficetech.com
OP Offline
Each MICS is 8X32. Run length is under 1000 feet.

As for the T1 option - what kind of cable would you run between the buildings? Would it require 1 T1 in each MICS? Would it work with POTS lines coming into each building for dial tone?

Thanks for your help. Jack

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
First off, do you want two seperate systems? Given the size of each, my first option would be to install a 50 pair and 6 strand fiber to connect phones and network. Then you have one system at location A and all the phone as location B feed off of it... Then you don't have to worry about having phone and data service at each location, and you don't lose any functionality of the phones.

If you wanted to just connect the systems with T-1s, you would need a couple of DB 4 pairs at a minimum, but I would go 25 pair. Plus T-1 cards, clocking cards, and PRI codes. By the time you add all that up, you could have installed two more 016 modules in switch A and connected them with a feed cable.

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
OP Offline
Customer insists on two separate systems.

Could I do POTS line dialtone coming into a 12X0 and then have the T1 cards connect the two MICS via a 25-pair cable?

Online Content
You could install an analog port from one MICS to the CO position #8 on the other. Program a CO line 8 button on the phone and label it Intercom Bldg #2. Going off hook on line 8 will give you dial tone from the other system and allow 2-3 digit intercom dialing. Do the reverse of this for the other side. Add an additional analog port to CO line #7 (each way) and pool them together for an additional intercom talk path.

Ideally, Z-man's suggestion of one system and a multiple pair cable would be best. If the two buildings are different companies with different lines, then programming would take care of any confusion.

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Have you asked your customer what is their reason for wanting two systems? From a technician stand point, it makes no sense, so ask them why. That will give you a better feel for what they want to do, and also the oppurtunity to offer different scenarios. If you approach the customer with "two systems makes no sense"... they won't respond well to that. If you approach with "Might I offer a couple alternate solutions that would fit your needs even better?"... They should be receptive to that.

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com
OP Offline
I think BobRobert has hit on what they want. I've been trying to sell them on Z-Man's solutions (one system with a feeder and an 0X16 or connection via T1) but sometimes you lead a horse to water and they still want hay. Thanks to both of you!

Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
Moderator-Avaya, Nortel
they pretty much lose all functionality that way. All they can do is call each other back and forth. If that is the case, why bother with the cable at all and just make phones calls back and forth?

Z-man
www.omniofficetech.com

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,262
Posts638,697
Members49,757
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
211,100 Shoretel
187,712 CTX100 install
186,800 1a2 system
Newest Members
BPopilek, Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset
49,757 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 18
Toner 11
TDKs79 8
teleco 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 24 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024